Heather's Reviews > Between Two Kingdoms

Between Two Kingdoms by Joe Boyd

Jul 06, 10

Read in April, 2010

What a neat book! This book went directly from my hands to Jordan’s desk with the instructions to read it. (For those of you with kids, Jordan is 11. I think this would be a great read for him yet I enjoyed it a lot also!)

This adventure starts with Tommy, who is a child of the Great King and a friend of the Good Prince, the son of the King. If you’re a Christian, you can see where this is going. Tommy must go to the lower kingdom, and there he helps to rescue a friend of his. The friend himself had to make the choice. (As we all do.)

Then Tommy, Mary, Bobby, and Pops have to go on this adventure to save the people of the Lower Kingdom from the “prince” of the Lower Kingdom. There is action, there is adventure, and there is undying faith. The correlation between God the father, Jesus, and Satan is present throughout the book, but written in a way both younger kids and adults will find easy to understand. I just thought it was such a cool way to tell the story. It kind of reminded me of the Chronicles of Narnia, not in how it is written but how one thing symbolizes another.

I think it was just the neatest book. Charles Schierbeck on Amazon said:

It is hard to know how to cast Joe Boyd’s book. I think the category of allegory is correct, however, at times I think that parable might be the better word. Rather, a string of parables woven into one longer story. What makes this nice is that you can read the book one chapter at a time, as a sort of devotional, or just plop down on the sofa and get lost in it for a whole night.

I completely agree with him, it does belong in allegory, but it feels like a parable. I think this book would be so wonderful to pick up at night and read a chapter to your kids. Now that I gave myself the idea, I think I will do that. We call that “buddy reading” at our house.

I will be on the lookout for more books from Joe Boyd because Between Two Kingdoms was absolutely fabulous. It’s really nice to find a wholesome book that I feel is appropriate for my whole family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Two Kingdoms.