Jennifer's Reviews > The Da Vinci Code

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Jul 06, 10

bookshelves: personal-reading
Read in January, 2005

I read this book because the concept was interesting and everyone was raving about it. I HATED it. I found Brown's writing style condescending to readers -- using italics to tell us what is important as if we cannot figure it out on our own. A book about deep topics such as this should make me think and think hard, and I felt that Brown never really invited me to do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Da Vinci Code.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Rob (new)

Rob One of my all-time favorite quotes from Roger Ebert goes something like this: "Sometimes it's good to read books like The Da Vinci Code just to remind yourself that life is too short to read books like The Da Vinci Code."

Brian Peace I liked it better when it was called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail." Even then it wasn't fantastic. It was, however, far more intriguing.

Tommy I hated this book because I thought I was smarter than the protagonist. That shouldn't happen.

Tommy Actually, let me clarify: I shouldn't be smarter than the protagonist if he is a Harvard "symbologist." I guess I should be smarter than Scout Finch, though.

Jennifer LMAO, Tommy! But I agree with you!

Becky Tommy-No one is smarter than Scout Finch!

I thought "The Da Vinci Code" was so poorly written. I liked the premise; I wanted to like the book. I never even bothered to see the film. It did prompt me to read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," and a couple of other things I can't remember.