Julie's Reviews > The Floating Opera and The End of the Road

The Floating Opera and The End of the Road by John Barth

Jul 07, 10

How could I forget this book? John Barth is reported to have had a whole literary theory behind it's crafting - in the discussion on a readerly text versus a writerly text. Texts come in two ways, Barth asserts.

Some of this theory about the text and space made in it for the reader was built part on the basis of ideas from Lacan suppposedly. I just found that out, and I really must say I do recall a particular feeling of pleasure or enjoyment in reading this Floating Opera a book, a lyric a stand in the river of the reading flow. Truly.

It is as if Lacan were peeping out from behind a newspaper on a very ordinary passage along the river - going by in its chapters, from inside its pages, reading as it were, with my perplexidly watching this very odd circumstance.

Who knows what the date was I finished this book, maybe I have never finished this book, I only remember reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Floating Opera and The End of the Road.

message 1: by Kevin J. (new)

Kevin J. Rogers "Letters" is one of my favorite novels ever. And worth it just for the Introduction alone, when Barth calls Gore Vidal and Tom Wolfe "literary kneecappers". Brilliant.