Becky's Reviews > Matter of Trust

Aug 19, 09

bookshelves: urban-fiction, age-middle-school, age-high-school
Recommended for: grades 7 and up
Read in December, 2007

This series has been flying off the shelf ever since we purchased it, so I finally read one. Only 125 pages, large type, plot-driven, good for reluctant readers. I appreciate that all of the main characters are African-American high schoolers, and I think the covers are a big reason kids are picking them up (as a side note, be sure to go for the gorgeous photos on the Scholastic covers, NOT the strange paintings on the earlier Townsend covers).

In this teen drama, 16-year-old Darcy has a lot to deal with: her ex-best-friend Brisana, who dumped her when she made new friends in high school, her crush Hakeem, who is paying a little too much attention to Brisana, her younger sister's rebellion, her dad's return and her parents' shaky reconciliation, and her ailing Grandma's many needs as her Alzheimer's worsens. There's also a school talent show, homework, and a shooting at a birthday party picnic. It may sound over-the-top, but I think a lot of kids are juggling this much, if not more.

The book was gritty enough to appeal to young teens without any language or sexuality. I'd recommend it to reluctant readers who like real-life drama without a lot of filling. However, for better writing quality with similar themes and actual 3D characters who develop, I'd recommend Sharon Draper, Angela Johnson, Traci L. Jones, or Virgina Euwer Wolff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matter of Trust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Genoa Middle School Principal used to give out free copies of Bluford to students there.

Becky Cool!!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica yeh she could get them for a dollar or something!