Sally's Reviews > Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City

Batman Unauthorized by Dennis O'Neil

Jul 06, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, essays, comics, mythological, superhero
Recommended for: Anyone who thinks they know anything about Batman.
Read from June 24 to July 06, 2010

VERY interesting study on all things Batman. My favorite superhero has always been Batman and I had a pretty general knowledge of the character, his alter-ego, beginnings, and history - but these essays were very enlightening, informative, and entertaining. I learned things about the Bat I didn't know, and gained some new perspectives in to his creation and mythos.

I also found it very interesting how Batman is always "the Knight we deserve," keeping up with the politics and events of the times. He was created in 1939 - and what a murky creation it was! - and has fought every real-world villain - from Nazis to the Taliban as well as every possible "type" of supervillain you can think of. Heck, he's even taken on SUPERMAN and come off the victor!

If you are a fan of Batman, whether it be the comics, cartoons, television series, or films, you will enjoy getting to know him and other aspects of his fictional world in this series of well-written essays. One of my favorites was all about Arkham Asylum doing more harm than good. Another is all about why Batman NEEDS Robin, and (ha!) why Batman is better than Superman and (so true) why women would rather date Batman than any other superhero. Coolness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman Unauthorized.

07/06/2010 page 112

message 1: by Knight77 (new)

Knight77 Have you read 'Batman Unmasked' by Will Brooker?