Nely's Reviews > The Fall

The Fall by Guillermo del Toro

May 26, 11

bookshelves: for-review
Read from March 21 to 22, 2011

The Fall is the second installment in Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain trilogy. In The Strain an airplane full of dead passengers is found on the tarmac of JFK and shortly thereafter chaos ensues. Vampires... and not of the teen heartthrob nor sparkly variety. These are more animalistic in nature and have one goal in particular... total world domination.

This book reads almost like a movie... it's actually detailed and vivid enough that you have a clear picture of exactly what is going on. Told in the same style as The Strain, you have various viewpoints and resulting vignettes. Sometimes these different points-of-view can be a little disorienting, but once you get the gist of the storytelling, you see how clever it all is as it comes together.

Although I found The Strain to be more of a scientific thriller than a horror story... The Fall was definitely more horror. Very dark, action-packed and with the perfect mix of sci-fi and fantasy you'll find it to be quite the page-turner. While I personally enjoyed The Strain better than I did this second installment, I still would not pass up on the chance of reading this series in its entirety. Eternal Night the third in the trilogy is scheduled to release in late 2011 - I cannot wait!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall.

Ryan G I've read the first book. I just need to get this one now. Hope it's good.

Nely Ryan wrote: "I've read the first book. I just need to get this one now. Hope it's good."

If you'd like, I'll send you my ARC when I'm done with it :) Shoot me an email if you want it bookwormygirl{at}gmail.com

Ryan G You are awesome!

Bending The Bookshelf Haven't read the first one yet . . . I need to get cracking!

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I really got into the first one and the second one is okay. I do want to see how it ends in three.

Nely Amy wrote: "I really got into the first one and the second one is okay. I do want to see how it ends in three."

Me too. Although I did like the first one better. This second one felt so dark and hopeless. And that ending... wow!