Megan's Reviews > Her Patchwork Family

Her Patchwork Family by Lyn Cote

Nov 19, 10

bookshelves: 4-stars, historical-romance, fiction
Read in November, 2010

Following the Civil War, Quaker Felicity Gabriel heads to Illinois to start a home for orphaned children, but her biggest challenges come in the form of her close-minded neighbors and in the broken family of Judge Ty Hawkins.

I loved Lyn Cote's first book in this continuity, Her Captain's Heart, and this second book didn't disappoint. She has a real skill for depicting strong, moral female characters without making them unbelievable, and also for making the struggles of those who love them also memorable and believable. Her male characters too show great strength despite their wounded, guarded lives, and I found the relationship between Felicity and Ty to be quite engaging. I was hesitant to read a book that revolved so much around children, and while sometimes the kids were just too perfect or just a tad bit unrealistic, they never annoyed me too much. I also appreciate Lyn Cote's focus on social justice issues in her romances; as with Her Captain's Heart, I really enjoy that the love is not limited between the hero and the heroine, but that their relationships is situated and influential to their greater community. Definitely sweet, definitely feel-good, and definitely not the last Lyn Cote book I'll be reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Patchwork Family.