Charlotte's Reviews > An Irish Country Doctor

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor

F 50x66
Jul 22, 10

Read from July 15 to 21, 2010

My great-grandmother came over to the United States from Ireland during the potato famine. According to one of my cousins who went to Ireland to research our ancestry, our great-grandmother came from County Down.
Since the setting for this book is County Down, I am especially interested in the local dialect as well as the local customs and the food common to the area. I found an abundance of this type of information in An Irish Country Doctor.
I found it a bit difficult to believe that the two doctors in the book would both quote literature so frequently, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. It did make me wonder if the doctors might have a wee bit of Attention Deficit Disorder.
The book had plenty of humor which I found quite pleasant. The wrap-ups at the end of the book were refreshingly complete.
I enjoyed the glossary of Ulster and Irish words and expressions as well as some Dublin slang and medical school jargon at the end of the story. I look forward to reading the author's other books in the series.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Irish Country Doctor.