Erin's Reviews > Kanada

Kanada by Eva Wiseman

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: death, teen, girl-main-character, historical
Read in January, 2009

Ever since reading Number the Stars, I've been fascinated by the Holocaust. The idea that humans could turn on each other like that has always been a disturbing idea, and the Salem Witch Trials, Japanese-American Internment Camps, Slavery and other similar topics have also attracted me for the same reason. This was in some ways yet another novel about a Jewish girl's journey from persecution to Concentration Camp to a new life after the war, but I think in a way that having this same story repeated by many different authors about many different countries really makes the facts that much more heartbreaking. Even though the story is essentially the same as many others, with similar suffering and tragedy, each story is still yet different, and there are so many lost stories that each one we have is precious.
This is probably better for older middle school kids, or readers who are ready for the tragic story. Jutka is a likeable heroine and as you follow her story you realize how much luck plays into our daily survival. Those experiencing modern day prejudice might be inspired by Jutka's strength, or they might be further depressed by the topic, so I think care is required in recommending this book, but it is a valuable addition to the literature on WWII.
Swearing. Violence. Deprivation. Prejudice and Persecution. Death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kanada.