Kirstie's Reviews > Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Dec 25, 07

Recommended for: people interested in the complexity of life
Read in April, 2006

I've read a few of Hesse's novels and I keep coming back to Steppenwolf time and time again. It's not as if books like Demian and Beneath the Wheel aren't worthwhile, either. It's just that there is something so grabbing and memorable about Steppenwolf. I was truly changed after I read this and I can't really say that for the majority of the books I've read.

One thing I think Hesse was obsessed with a little is the duality of life-the light and the dark side. Steppenwolf takes you to some dark carnival like dreams and forces you to see that life is incredibly complex. Someone like Hesse cannot live a simple life. He sees both and so do his protagonists. They all go through similar issues, temptations, even vices. There's a theme running through them that goes beyond good and evil...this is much more at the heart of the Earth's revolving center. Though I haven't yet read everything that Hesse has written, I'm pretty sure that nowhere has he developed this theme better than in Steppenwolf. It isn't just the characters that he gains a handle on but also his ideas overall.

It affected my dreams and my waking life. It changed the way I saw life and the world. There is an undercurrent to this tide that some resist and ignore. Others fall in love with it instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steppenwolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Gosh, it's been so long since I read this book that I can barely remember it at all. When I was carrying around my laptop and looking at the bookcases rating books, I skipped over the Hesse books (Steppenwolf, Damien, Siddhartha) because my memory of them was too foggy. I did like them, though.

Kirstie It's been too long since I read it as well. I need to re-read it. I feel its one of those creative book that helps me question the world around me and perhaps makes it easier to understand people and possibly be a better photographer.

Ashleigh Young i think you will enjoy narcissus and goldmund, if you haven't read it already. i'm working on steppenwolf right now.

Kirstie I believe I read that one too...I love all of his that I've read! Really fantastic author.

Matt Otis Narcissus was certainly my favorite, but Steppenwolf is slowly rising to the top as I just finished it. Hesse has a very unique/intricate way of expressing the existential muses of existence. I am tempted to read this one again, while analyzing some of his themes a bit more deeply.

Kirstie It is definitely one to be savored and revisited!

Bart Martens Hesse makes u think, but he gives no answers, where his book siddharta kinds of tries to kill the senses, steppenwolf encourages to develop them...