Katyana's Reviews > Killbox

Killbox by Ann Aguirre

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: ass-kicking-women, sci-fi, kleenex-required, series, favorites
Read in September, 2010

God. God. I just finished, and... I don't even know where to begin. How do I rate this book?

This book left me smoking pissed. Part of me wants to give it a bad rating because of that, just out of spite. But when I think about it, this visceral emotional reaction I am having, it is a reaction to the story. To a well-told story. How can I give that a low rating?

There are a lot of decisions that frustrated me in this book. I honestly found it hard to read, because parts of it were pretty upsetting. But isn't that a mark of caring about a character? Being agonized because they are going down a road you don't want to see them travel?

I am angry that March decided to hold himself apart from Jax, that his integrity demanded it (I am deliberately being vague here, to avoid spoiling my friends). And I am angry that Jax agreed to it. But... I can't argue that it is out of character. That decision, that is March, right down to his core. And Jax... the beautiful thing is that the Jax of book 1 WOULDN'T have agreed. But the Jax of book 4, she recognizes that there are things in the world that hold more value than her own personal needs.

Now, I can and will argue that they were both being stupid. That being partners means facing things together, and if the Armada can't handle that, the Armada can suck it.

But I can't argue that it was out of character, or that it in any way undermined these people or this story.

I am angry that Jax was utterly isolated by the end of this book. That one by one, the people she loves were forced away from her. But at the same time, I can see that this is essential, for Jax. That this is part of her growth.

I am livid that both Jax and March CONTINUE to make unilateral decisions - leap forward into their own plan of action without discussing possibilities with each other. I am heartbroken that they have not come, yet, to the stage where they trust each other enough to know that their love for each other won't allow them force the other to be someone who is less... less... just Less than they need to be.

I am terrified of March's devastation when he receives that transmission.

And above all... above all I am HORRIFIED that we have to sit with this cliffhanger for a YEAR.

But are any of those things marks of a poorly written book? Honestly, could the story have made me cry my damn eyes out through the last 50 or so pages if it was not excellent? The book took me on an emotional journey. And sure, it left me Utterly Furious... but I'd guess that's exactly what Aguirre wants me to be feeling right now.

So, 5 stars.

Cheers, y'all. See you in a year. Goddammit.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killbox.

Quotes Katyana Liked

Ann Aguirre
“Men always want to be remembered whereas women realize that requires being dead.”
Ann Aguirre, Killbox

08/31/2010 page 1
0.0% "Hells yes, starting this tonight..."
08/31/2010 page 52
14.0% "Oh no, oh no. That's a decision that is sure to have strings attached. I will be shocked if this doesn't bite March in the ass."
09/01/2010 page 182
49.0% "I feel like I have been waiting for 2 books for March and Jax to sync up. It is becoming agonizing, waiting for them to... there's not a good word. Connect doesn't quite cover it. They just don't feel in tune. It is making me twitchy with anxiety." 4 comments
09/01/2010 page 187
51.0% "*sob*" 2 comments
09/01/2010 page 249
68.0% "Argh! Nothing can ever be easy."
09/01/2010 page 249
68.0% "You know what? No. Upon careful consideration, I would like to mentally backtrack about 60 pages and call bullshit. That is not what a relationship is. A relationship is a partnership. If you can't approach things like this as partners, then GTFO." 4 comments
09/01/2010 page 252
68.0% "Is it just me, or does anyone else see a lot of Ender's Game in this book?"
09/01/2010 page 292
79.0% "Hmm, couple interesting turns of events. Also, I don't think I have mentioned it before, but I really like the intercutting government reports. That thing worked really well in the last book, with the intercutting news reports. It is a great way to give us info that Jax doesn't have access to." 9 comments
09/01/2010 page 368
100.0% "SON OF A BITCH!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE IS LEAVING US WITH THAT CLIFFHANGER! *(#$*%#$_)$%" 14 comments

Laura Lulu Ugh. I guess it has to be written that way to keep us tension lovers happy--if Jax & March got all happy, we might be bored. Lol.

But don't you want to knock them upside the head anyway?

Mine came in the mail the other day--I'll probably read it after I read Mockingjay.

Katyana I'll admit, I am pretty frustrated right now. I understand that, since this is book 4 of 6, you need to keep tension there somewhere. But thus far, I am pretty unhappy with the choices Aguirre is making. I really hope things congeal a bit more in the last third.

message 3: by Bry (new)

Bry Tension is one thing, but being an outright tease is another. It's as if she never plans on them being together in a real relationship.

Katyana Yeah, I will admit that I am wicked frustrated all around right now, but again, I would never make the call that it was unnecessary before I see how she resolves things. But as I said, at the moment I would cheerfully strangle Jax, March and Aguirre.

message 5: by Catherine (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:04PM) (new)

Catherine That was a fabulous review! I don't know whether to be afraid to read this or chomping at the bit.

One thing I loved was: "and if the Armada can't handle that, the Armada can suck it." LMAO!

Katyana Thanks! And I think your dilemma - afraid or chomping at the bit - is perfectly appropriate. :D

Also, whoops, spelling error. Ah well. The Armade AND the Armada can BOTH suck it. ;)

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I fixed it. :)

Katyana I fixed my review too - I think I was typing too fast. Even on the re-read, I didn't notice I had written Armade. I didn't see it until you quoted it. :)

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I do that all the time. It's like my eyes skip right over the error because I knew what it was supposed to say. I only ever notice it when I start to write back to a comment someone made and look at my original comment. I always have typos.

Katyana Same. Ah well. *shrug*

message 11: by gert (new) - rated it 4 stars

gert if I was as articulate, and motivated enough to use capital letters, this could have been my review!

message 12: by Katyana (last edited Sep 06, 2010 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katyana Haha, thanks! So what did you think of Killbox? It sounds like it made you as crazy as it made me!

Mariana You have just put my every thought into words...thanks.

Katyana Thank you! Glad you liked it!

message 15: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy wow--great review--love this series

Katyana Thanks! I love it too... the wait for the next book may kill me. :D

message 17: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy have gone back to re-read your review--it's even better the second time--the ending made the storyline even stronger--Aguirre is amazing