Jessica Saylor's Reviews > House of Dark Shadows

House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo

Aug 23, 14

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in July, 2010 — I own a copy

Alright, wow. This book was totally awesome. This book takes a lot of my favorite things, and jumbles it all into one. There is a lot of mystery, suspense, background information, and action. The only thing I felt that it was missing, was a bit of romance. (You guys know what a big romance buff I am. I could spot true love in my sock drawer if I had to.)

Let's start off with the prologue. It rocked my socks off. I was immediately drawn in, and I even made my boyfriend read it just to see what he thought. And it wasn't one of the 'Twilight' prologues, even though I do enjoy those, where it is a few paragraphs from the most important part of the book, willing you to keep reading by giving you a taste of the climax. Nope, it is set thirty years prior to the rest of the story. *No spoiler, it literally says thirty years ago first page.*

After being immediately intrigued by the prologue, Liparulo does the next best thing an author can do. He allows you to get to know the characters before jumping to the action. To me, characters are probably the most important thing about a story. It can be a boring plot with mediocre writing, and still be a pretty good book if you fall in love with the characters. (Hate to use Twilight as an example two times in one review BUT as most of us know, hardly anything of interest happens in the first 200 pages of the book but you are still drawn in because you love Edward and Bella.) Liparulo creates a lovable family a lot of us either have, or wish we had.

After allowing the reader to get to know the characters, Liparulo steadily works his way into the mystery of the novel. I can't say much more without spoiling, but I can say that this book takes you on a different ride than most other young adult books take you on.

All in All: GREAT book, definitely worth buying and reading. Liparulo sets up a great series with this novel.

Plot: 18/20
Characters: 20/20
Creativity: 20/20
Writing: 20/20
Ending: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
=98/100

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Dark Shadows.