Jennifer's Reviews > Lords and Ladies

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

probably one of my new favorite discworld novels. why the five stars, you may ask? five words: the stick and bucket dance.

part of my love for terry pratchett's writing comes from his use of words. the way he twists them, the way he uses them in unexpected ways, the way he uses them to tell a story, and to give that story depth and meaning even when on the surface it's just a great little fairy tale. another reason i love terry pratchett's writing is for the times when he doesn't use words, and things like the stick and bucket dance are no exception. he allows your mind to both wander and wonder, knowing perfectly well that what you come up with may be far superior or more hilarious than anything he could describe, and that's okay with him.

i also love the setting of lancre, and i love the oggs, each for different reasons. i mean, nanny ogg, i'm okay with. i really like her, but i'm absurdly fond of jason and shawn. the part where jason is working on the horse at the beginning was really well written, i thought. i loved the idea of the fairies not being exactly what people remembered them being, with the glamours and everything, and i really just loved the whole book.

i've discovered over the last couple of books, as well, that i dearly love the librarian. (granted, i'm not a huge fan of apes. monkeys i can handle, but apes? heebidy jeebidy. they give me the creeps for some reason.) however, there's just something about the way that he handles things, thinks without really "thinking" in the direct sense and communicates that just makes me smile. i loved his interactions with the other characters, especially towards the end of the book with ponder and the bursar.

i like magrat's evolution, but having not read either of the previous books (Wyrd Sisters or Witches Abroad), i wasn't super attached to her. the transformation was nice, and it was an excellent ending to the book, but it didn't strike me as much as it probably would have if i had read the other books previously. (then again, i do tend to read discworld books backwards or out of order, so i'm sure at some point i'll go back in time and read what makes this book so good for her.)

as with all pratchett, lots of laugh out loud moments, moments that made me think, and a great story, all before the backdrop of celtic england in that dark, sort of moor-ish way. well done, and highly recommended.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lords and Ladies.

Jason Oook.