Andrew's Reviews > To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World

To Change the World by James Davison Hunter

Aug 17, 14

bookshelves: theology, sociology, religion, politics, secularization
Read from July 05, 2010 to January 01, 2014, read count: 3

Hunter's is a voice that needs to be heard in the highly politicized climate of American Christianity, right and left. He combines erudition with clear writing, making this one of the most compelling books I've read in a while.

Only a few criticisms:
1. Andy Crouch's review in Books and Culture was right that Hunter could be more generous to other Christians dealing with issues of Christianity and culture. I'm not sure that most writers are as far from his idea of "faithful presence" as he portrays.
2. We don't get enough explanation of how the presence of the Word overcomes the postmodern rupture between word/reality.
3. I'm not sure that a period of Christian silence in politics is consistent with his own position of faithful presence. It seems that faithful presence would require the continued involvement of those Christians in positions of political influence, despite Christian failings in the past.
4. More tentatively, for all his criticism of idealist accounts of history, his own account prioritizes ideas: Christians in America have wrongly *conceptualized* their relationship to culture, which an *understanding* of faithful presence could solve.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Change the World.

07/29/2014 marked as: currently-reading