Catherine's Reviews > The Spellman Files

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, series, crazy-family, read-2010
Read on July 15, 2010 — I own a copy

Well, I can honestly say that I have never read anything quite like this. This family was insane! Hilarious for us, but quite dysfunctional.

Pretty much everyone in the family, except the odd man out, David, works as a private investigator for the family company. Privacy is an alien concept to the Spellmans. To keep information to yourself in this family you'll need to lie, dodge tails, and constantly check for bugs. It's an interesting lifestyle, but it's getting exhausting for Izzy.

Izzy had an interesting childhood. She ran wild constantly and worried her family. I didn't mind hearing about her previous escapades, but I did find it odd that her parents were so accepting of her alcohol and drug use while she was still a minor and living in their house. I also found it odd that Izzy seemed to fondly reminisce about those memories like the "glory days."

I loved the author's style of writing. The lists and numbers referring to her ex-boyfriends were hilarious! I was pretty surprised at the book's format, although it wasn't an unpleasant surprise. I thought it was really nice that we got to see so much back story on the family. Even though Izzy is the narrator, the family itself seems to be the main character, not a single person.

I couldn't believe the outcome of the kidnapping at the end. I know that we were prepped for it from the first page, but I was still surprised! And then to see how it all turned out... I was really surprised that Izzy took it so well. I wouldn't have.

I have the feeling that this series is going to be a wild ride filled with hijinks and sleuthing and hilarious situations. I can't wait to read the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spellman Files.

07/15/2010 page 29 "I love the look at her childhood and all the info on her family."
07/15/2010 page 130 "That interrogation with the dentist was hilarious!"
07/15/2010 page 133 ""No, Izzy wants me to help her snag a guy, except I don't approve of her methods." "What methods?" Rae asked innocently. "She stalks them first. Finds out every detail of their life and insinuates herself into it until they have no choice but to ask her out." "Why don't we use the word 'investigating.'" I offered."
07/15/2010 page 275 ""I love you," she said with an awkward, deadpan delivery. She said it as if she thought I might have forgotten. The truth was, I never doubted for a moment that my parents loved me. But love in my family has a bite to it and sometimes you get tired of icing all those tooth marks." 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick Im looking forward to reading this.

Catherine I'm only on page 29, but it has already hooked me.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Is this a keeper?

Vered I love this series :)

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick 4 stars. I will be bumping this up the TBR line. :)

Catherine UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Is this a keeper?"

Yes, I think I'll keep it. I think it will be fun to reread the series from time to time.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Thanks, Catherine! I'll check into it.

Tammy Great review! I love this series too. Did you know it is in development for the big screen? Paramount Pictures bought the rights. :)

Catherine Really? That will be one crazy movie!

Tammy I'm really looking forward to it.

Per imdb.com, Lisa Lutz is writing the movie script, so it should be true to the book!

Catherine Excellent! I hate when they take a good book and make a bad movie. If you're going to change everything, why did you want to tell this story in the first place?