Katie Lambden's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

May 08, 07

Read in May, 2007

My mom read the entire Chronicles of Narnia as bedtime stories when I was about 8. Of course at the time I perceived none of the allegorical "depth," but did have Turkish Delight fantasies galore. After the movie release hoopla about CS Lewis last year, I decided to re-read at least one of the books. Often I come back to childhood favorites and they're like comfort food; I could read them again and again. However, I was not so taken with Narnia on my return visit. The storytelling is not that amazing, and the characters are frustratingly transparent vehicles for Lewis's real objective, which is the retelling of the Passion of the Christ. Plus there's an excessive and annoying degree of anthropomorphizing (OK, so the animals must be able to talk in order for the story to go forward, but must the beavers wear snowboots and Aslan the lion stand on two feet?).
The central question for me, however, is how useful such an imaginative allegory can possibly be. I guess CS Lewis can thumb his nose at me for this question, though, since people are still reading the Chronicles of Narnia and still making movies not only about Aslan but also human versions of the Passion of Christ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josephine (last edited Jan 11, 2008 02:20PM) (new) - added it

Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious CS Lewis was known to be an atheist, not knowing him personally I cannot attest this, but he was most probably not using this to propagandize Christ. Maybe it would be more accurate to say he's one of the authors who took his inspiration from one of the classic pieces of Literature. Since, after all, thats what it is. Some people believe in its words, but for others they're just stories. :)

Abigail CS Lewis was an atheist in his younger days, but then he converted (due, in part, to his friendship with J. R. R. Tolkien) and was an extremely religious Christian. He wrote all kinds of bollocks about how God was the best ever. He definitely, no doubt about it, meant The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a Christian allegory, if not 'propaganda' as such.

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Terry Or maybe it's just fun fantasy.

Coley G Josephine, your very wrong understanding about C.S. Lewis could be easily cured if you just took half a second to look at his author page. I'm sort of astounded that you thought one of the greatest and most loved Christian Apologists of the modern age was just some atheist writing some fantasy novels, smh