Dan Schwent's Reviews > The First Commandment

Aug 04, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: birhday-2010, 2010
Read from July 31 to August 04, 2010

An assassin is targeting people close to counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath. His girlfriend is comatose in a hospital bed and the president has ordered him to stand down. But how can he stand down when the people around him are being gunned down?

First off, this was a birthday present and not something I picked for myself. I'm not into political thrillers.

The Good: The First Commandment is action-packed and feels like a blockbuster movie. Scot Harvath is a high caliber bad-ass. The plot had a lot of twists and turns. That's about it for The Good, I'm sorry to say.

The Bad: None of the characters were very detailed. The story had a lot of implausible elements, just like most blockbuster movies. The chapters were too short. I know Thor was trying to build the suspense but a 451 page book shouldn't have over 100 chapters. It felt like Thor wrote the book as a movie script first and then turned it into a novel.

The Ugly: If it weren't for the uglies, I might have given this a 3 but here goes. None of the female characters were more than set dressing. About half of the book felt like Brad Thor pushing his political views on me. I lost track of how many times Harvath made unfair comments about Muslims. The phrases "killing Americans, War on Terror, and American way of life" were way overused.

2.5 out of five. It would have been lightyears better without all the political speak from Harvath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Commandment.

08/01/2010 page 7
show 12 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-8 of 8) </span> <span class="smallText">(8 new)</span>

Carl Who do you prefer Harvath or Mitch Rapp. Try American Assasin or Kill shot by Vince Flynn!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Political thrillers aren't really my cup of tea. Is Mitch Rapp Vince Flynn's equivalent to Harvath?

Carl Yeah, but better in my opinion, love all the secret agent stuff, read any Lee Child, bit different, tough drifter righting wrongs.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent The Lee Child books are on my radar but I haven't read any of them yet. I want to get caught up on Robert Crais' Elvis Cole books before I take on another series.

message 5: by Leon (new)

Leon Aldrich Dan wrote: "The Lee Child books are on my radar but I haven't read any of them yet. I want to get caught up on Robert Crais' Elvis Cole books before I take on another series."

I'm adding Brad Thor to my list. I love Lee Childs and Robert Crais.

Now add some James Lee Burke and your life will be complete.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Burke is also on my list.

Carl Read all Crais books, Joe Pike has gone solo as well, great stuff my fave Cole book is LA takedown number 18 I think!!!

Michelle Zanetti Might want to start with the first novel in the series.