Deana's Reviews > 31 Hours

Jul 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, pbs-sent
Read from September 29 to October 08, 2010 , read count: 1

This book was really interesting to me. The author really tries hard to make Jonas a sympathetic character even though he's been trained to blow up the NYC subway system. I learned a lot from the book about Islam, and in many places the religion is painted in a good light (for instance, in Mahmoud's phone call with his father). Jonas seems to feel that he takes part in ALL religions, but at the same time, in none.

I did not like Jonas' mother character. Too much "motherly intuition" and plus she was annoying. I don't know, I didn't really like -any- of the characters, to be honest, except maybe the homeless guy "Sonny Hirt". He was a neat guy.

I really enjoyed the format of the book, with the two time zones at the top of each page. I liked that the point of view shifted between characters, and that Jonas' parents seemed to be coming together while Vic's were moving apart.

I must say that I am almost offended by a comment on the back of the book saying that "women in particular will devour this book" or something to that effect (I'll fix the quote if I get home and find it is drastically different).

I wish there had been some kind of ending. I guess it is left up to us to decide what happens. Was Jonas successful? If so, did Mara and Aaron make it home before-hand? How does his family react, and Vic (and this applies whether or not he is successful)? What happens to Mahmoud?

I think this book is worth reading once. It's not your typical book, and it did keep me reading. I'd love to know what other people think about it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 31 Hours.

09/29/2010 page 47