Deana's Reviews > Escape

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, 2009, read-library, 4-5stars
Recommended to Deana by: Veronica
Read in June, 2009

Wow. That's really all I have to say about this book, but I'll try to do better than that. This is the story of Carolyn Jessop, a woman who was born into life in the FLDS - a radical shootoff of the Morman church. I of course want to point out that the Mormons have excommunicated these people and as far as I know do not practice any of the horrible things that are described here. I also want to say that I am not anti-polygamy in principle (don't shoot me, please) but the way these people are doing it is clearly not working at all.

This was a really interesting read for me, especially once I figured out that the husband who treated her so badly and that she'd taken her kids and run away from is the same guy who was running the compound down here in Texas that got raided last year for having the underage marriages.

Carolyn's story is heartbreaking, and a truly interesting read. I highly recommend it. I have to admit, it is so difficult to believe that things like this can be going on today! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was one of those books about a false utopia, a fiction story about a place someone made up ... like "We" or "1984". And yet, it's real. Sometimes truth really -is- stranger than fiction!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.