Bret's Reviews > There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce

There is a River by Thomas J. Sugrue

Jul 05, 10

This book has helped me through a difficult period. The extent and pace of change in my life has overwhelmed me as I prepare to enter a new career and thus a new way of living. Money and charity have pulled from opposite ends of my soul throughout my life and finally, I think I found the line of work I am meant to do.

Edgar Cayce's story is one of an ordinary man who, through some stroke of predestination, spoke about extraordinary mysteries while in a sleeping trance. In an era where frauds like Miss Cleo and that guy from "Crossing Over" enrich themselves on illusions and scams, I imagine they'd try to take over the world if they possessed even an ounce of Cayce's physic powers.

Cayce was unique because he didn't try to peddle his powers, however incredible. It was just the opposite - he avoided attention and fame whenever possible and felt embarrassed by his talents. He never wanted money. He only cared to serve humankind and make a difference in the lives of people. He wanted to help the sick. He tried to save peoples lives and help children.

After reading the book, I feel energized by the possibilities and secrets within us. Because Cayce lived so humbly, I actually believe in his psychic history even more fiercely. Cayce was a true philanthropist who dedicated his life to helping others. He wasn't a quack or a circus act.

I feel better about my chosen than I have ever felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There is a River.