Misty's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

3 for enjoyment, 2 for substance.

Warning: I'm not sure if this turned out to be a review or a philosophical discussion, or some freaky lovechild of the two.  Bear with me...

[I'm gonna go with "freaky love child." Why not? Read more HERE.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

03/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Elisa (new) - added it

Elisa I can't wait to read this!

Misty So far so good!

Heather Does it get too preachy? I kind of felt that the Giver was that way...dystopia novels...I either love em or hate em.

message 4: by Misty (last edited Dec 03, 2010 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Misty It was a bit preachy. Or, I guess, when Cassia finally changed from being a company man to an independent, the change was so fast, and so extreme, she became kind of self-righteous with it, which was a little silly, and felt preachy.

Inoli Not only do I think this stayed in the realm of review without crossing into philosophical discussion any more than the book required but I think it's an excellent review - very thorough and very accurate. We have some little differences here and there in perception and taste but you really nailed this.

Misty :D Thanks! I did rein myself in more than I thought I would, but that was because I cut some of my tangents. Thought they'd make a better discussion started later on (which I'm still planning).

Inoli Keep me updated on that plan.

Misty Will do.

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Please explain what WSOD is.

Inoli Hi Liz. Willing suspension of disbelief. Is that what you meant - just the abbreviation? Or more?

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Thanks, Inoli. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks guys.

message 13: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Brown duies

message 14: by Maru (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maru I agree very much with your review, and like you I am also in the middle. I liked the book, it was entertaining enough, but it didn't really make me feel much more than that. I posed myself the same question of the "trade off" while reading it - though it is a question I had already asked myself plenty of times before so it's not like the book really gave me anything new to work with - and felt frustrated then at how little depth the characters had, because it meant that I couldn't really invest myself in the story... If I don't really care that much about the characters, then what's the point? I mean they were nice but that's it.

Misty I agree, especially in something calling itself dystopian - if you don't care, then what's the point?

Melanie Overwritten --> Couldn't agree more!

message 17: by Alexacate (new)

Alexacate I somewhat struggled with the pace of it. Cassia hikes, Ky writes, Cassia is scared. Cassia overthinks. Cassia hikes, Ky talks to another girl. Cassia thinks some more. Cassia works, Cassia thinks some more. She's a melodramatic overthinker. Example: "Outside the door, Xander waits for me. It strikes me that this symbolizes what is wrong here. No one can ever really come in, and when it's time to let them, we don't know how." Can't a door knock sometimes just be a door knock?! A leaf just be a leaf?! One of the main rules of writing is to show, not tell and seeing every analogy and metaphor and symbol she concocts for every thought in her head made me tired.

Misty Hahaha! Agreed.