Anne's Reviews > The Unbearable Lightness of Scones

The Unbearable Lightness of Scones by Alexander McCall Smith

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: brit-lit, misadventure, relationships, realistic-fiction
Read in July, 2010

There's nothing more enjoyable to a voracious reader than a prolific author!

I've just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Scones. In the past I would have said that the "44 Scotland Road" series wasn't one of the best, but I found this book to be quite a treat. The plot has always been a bit complex, weaving strands of characters' lives in and out throughout the books. This book adds characters who have started to come into their own. Young Bertie is of an age when his insights are quite astounding. Awkward Matthew has found love and with that has become more engaging and confident. Domenica is a similar kind of over-thinker as Isabel Dalhousie in Alexander McCall Smith's other Scotland series, but her misadventures are more amisuing. Even smarmy Bruce gets his comeuppance in this book. All in all, I really liked it.

Now I need to go back to the library to see if I've missed some books. I'm not sure I've read The World According to Bertie (44 Scotland Street, #4) by Alexander McCall Smith, or one in "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series, or two others about Isabel Dalhousie! Nothing more satisfy than books waiting to be read when you've got lots of time to read them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Lightness of Scones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara Good review! I like this series best, among McCall Smith's many...and the characters do get better and better. But you'll enjoy them all, I bet!