Abby's Reviews > One Dance with a Duke

One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare

Jul 12, 10

bookshelves: romance, historical-fiction, favorites
Read from July 05 to 10, 2010

Quiet and shy, Amelia's given up hope on ever being anything but a spinster when the gambling debts of her younger brother force her into steamrolling her way across the dance floor to claim a dance with the mysterious Duke of Midnight who claims her brother's debt. Thrown together into a whirlwind of a night, Amelia and Spencer must prove his innocence in a murder and figure out how to cope with the obvious sparks between them.

Why I picked it up:
It was a Smart Bitch recommendation and they're usually spot on. One Dance with a Duke is no exception. It feels like you're reading a Loretta Chase only without the accompanying darkness that LC usually has hovering around her hero and heroine. That's not to say this book is light and fluffy, rather it's just the opposite. Both Spencer and Amelia face very real problems and how they handle them (and each other) made my heart ache with empathy. Especially Amelia and her self-esteem and insecurity. Her lifelong defense is to be the nurturer and put everyone else in her life first. She derives her self-worth from how she can help those around her. Seeing her work through that in order to achieve a healthy balance and be able to be in a relationship was painfully honest. Author Tessa Dare doesn't cheat her characters of the hard work and as a result writes some of the most refreshing romances to date.

Who Would I Recommend it To:
Emily B for sure! Laura P., just in case she's not already convinced that romances can be awesome, and anyone else looking for a great "break through" romance. I would put this book on my List of Books to Turn People on to Romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dance with a Duke.