Raelene's Reviews > Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes

Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen

Jul 05, 2010

bookshelves: cookbooks-food, the-books-of-2010
Read in July, 2010

There can't possibly be enough good to say about this cookbook/tutorial tome. It's fantastic. Fan. Tas. Tic. She has a whole chapter on Foraging (yes, foraging! wild food. growing randomly. in the wild) and how to use what you've found. Each chapter covers one basic unit: Foraging, Breads, Lamb, Beef, Pork, Fish, Chicken (and how to keep your own hens), etc etc etc.

Her advice and instructions are practical and down-to-earth: how to gut and fillet a fish, how to prepare a duck or pigeon for the oven, how to cure your own ham, where to find the best wild blueberries - and on an on.

I'm reading it page by page (unlike most cookbooks), because it's totally engrossing and totally fascinating. And - believe it or not, I think with her step-by-steps I can likely do most of all the things she mentions. Really - fabulous. A serious kitchen must-have-on-hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten Skills of Cooking.