Katy's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: classics, before-2007, re-reading, school, historical, 2009, hhs-library, fiction, southern, banned, rape
Recommended for: those who aren't expecting much
Read in February, 2009, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** Though I didn't find "TKAM" to be the eye-opening, philosophical read that it is said to be, I can't say that I didn't enjoy following Scout and Jem through their adventures.

To be fair, perhaps at the time that it was published, this book was shocking and impressive. Now, to me, it just seems to fall a bit flat.

Yeah, I get the historical significance of a trial that is a white man's word against a black man's, about raping a white woman. I understand that what Atticus did was brave. I understand the metaphor of killing a mockingbird (and okay, I'll admit that I found it touching). Still, that doesn't mean that I'm really torn up about it.

And then the ending was supposed to make me think...but I didn't. I went, "Oh, Boo! I kind of predicted that..." and then he left. And we're left with dead Bob Ewell and Jem's broken arm. Not exactly mind-blowing.