Jerry's Reviews > Lost Light

Lost Light by Michael Connelly

Jul 05, 10

Read in May, 2005

Great novel! Sustained suspense, fine character work!

We've read just two of Connelly's novels so far: "City of Bones", featuring his series leading man detective Harry Bosch, and "Void Moon" (not a Bosch story). We found the latter to be a fine read, and the Bosch wasn't bad either, except we didn't have any prior background with Harry and weren't too sure we really enjoyed him that much. "Lost Light" fixes that in a hurry, as Connelly takes the time to really draw out Bosch's character AND biography for us. Harry has recently "pulled the pin" (retired) from the LAPD, and now as a non-working but licensed private-eye with lots of time on his hands, decides to revisit a 4-year old cold case murder from when he was on the force. He soon becomes embroiled in factors seemingly related: a missing FBI agent, a missing two million dollars in cash from a movie-making stunt; and a totally disabled policeman confined to a miserable life in a wheelchair who feeds Harry small doses of clues as his memory (and willingness to share) improves. Bosch demonstrates incredible intellect in putting together the strayest of clues, all the while being hounded to mind his own business (to the point of being jailed!) by various FBI and Homeland Security types. Gaining some leverage on a federal agent through a little videotaping helps immensely in getting at the facts!

Meanwhile, Harry's personal life, including his relationship with several of his ex-partners, and most importantly, his ex-wife, are described thoroughly enough that we get to know the man, not just the clever investigator. His longing desire to re-unite with his ex- is beautifully handled, and a striking revelation at book's end will have Harry's fan club panting for the next novel in the set!

We consider this one of the best books we've read lately. Sustained suspense about a crime we're made to care about; the close look at Harry the human (not just the cop); and the intricate, well-paced plot, combine to produce a novel very tough to put down. We can see from this example why Connelly is an Edgar winning author and one who has built a tremendous fan base. Count us in!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Light.