Robert's Reviews > The Mad Minute Mastering Number Facts Grades 1-8

The Mad Minute Mastering Number Facts Grades 1-8 by Paul Joseph Shoecraft

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: in-classroom, teacher-resource, mathematics, daily, subtraction, addition, multiplication, division, favorites, own
I own a copy, read count: 10

I've been using this book daily with my fourth grade classes for about 15 years. I find it a wonderful tool to drill basic mathematical facts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mad Minute Mastering Number Facts Grades 1-8.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by S (new)

S HI

I was wondering how you manage it in your classroom. If you could give specific details such as do the students have their own folder, how often, do they self correct, are they all on different ones?

thnaks

Robert In the beginning of the year, we begin. Daily I administer a Mad Minute. Initially, I grade each. A week or two in, we begin to self grade. I then collect the papers, add them to a database, then return. Students correct the incorrect problems.

I have a standing challenge that any student who can get three papers totally correct consecutively and beat my time (I do these with the students) is excused from taking them. Several years ago I had a number of students who were close. In more recent years there has been no challenge.

message 3: by S (new)

S Hi Robert,

Thanks for responding to my initial questions. I was wondering what your database looks like and do you start all students at the beginning of the book with addition? How do students move up? I have been reading other posts that some teachers require them to get them all right in the allotted time before moving them up to the next series.

And when you do the challenge you excuse them from all future ones or only from the current operation so that they would have to start again when you moved on to decimals.

thanks for your time in answering my questions.

Robert I teach fourth grade. I usually begin with a few addition and subtraction tests, but concentrate on multiplication and division. We all move together. Those students who are struggling receive blank copies for them to work with at home. Their parents hear my plea to learn the basic facts; that is the crux of fourth grade mathematics. I use Mad Minutes as a tool to drill basic facts. We pick a date (20 December this academic year) where we have our big test. After that point, it is assumed students know these facts.

I excuse students from all future tests. It's a big challenge; I'm fast. ;)