Jen Padgett Bohle's Reviews > Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken

Welcome to My Planet by Shannon Olson

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: blah-contemporary-american-not-lit, chick-lit
Read in August, 2010

I give up. Goodreads has twice deleted my review as I tried to post,so I'll just say that this book is terrible, even for a beach read. I read it in 3 hours before my vacation even began, while waiting at my doctor's office. (Don't spend money on this!)

There are therapy sessions, bits of pop psychology, and mother daughter interludes that attempt to elevate this work to something more than the prototypical chick lit(This is often a derogatory term, but here I mean it to be value neutral. Chick lit has its place, as macho lit does. No need to be a genre snob.) It doesn't work here. This is not Helen Fielding or Jennifer Weiner. The quest is almost always for the perfect man and this novel is no exception, it's just that the men are thoroughly dreadful and uninteresting and the novel sometimes tries to be a bildungsroman, as Shanny, the protagonist, wants to get her shit together and eat more than cold cereal all day and pay her bills on time.

So, there's very little plot, and the protagonist is silly, codependent, and grating.(Now I'm a pop psychologist) I want her to stop calling her mom by her first name(Flo, for christ's sake!)and I want the author to rethink the awful nicknames (cracker butt for one) And Shanny's working on a master's in literature and doesn't know what transcendentalism is. That bothers me a lot (I'm shallow.)

This has been billed as chick lit for thinking ladies but I'd much rather go completely low brow and read chick lit that's not trying (and failing miserably) to be something better. Give me cheap thrills, debauchery, and Manolo Blahnik name dropping. Give me Candace Bushnell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to My Planet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Riley Hey, Jen, if you're thumbs-downing it, then I, too, am thumbs-downing it. Thanks for doing the hard work here, which includes reading crap so I don't have to. I appreciate you taking one for your Goodreads team!

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen Padgett Bohle You're very welcome! Glad this helped.