Lauren's Reviews > The Far Pavilions

The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye

Jul 05, 10

Read in July, 2010

4 stars for parts of the book, maybe 40-60% of Ash's life and the book. I loved the first 200 pages, that was amazing, 5 STARS! The love story was thrilling and captivating because of the challenges involved. 1/3 of the books I would give 2 stars but that is only because I was not in the mood nor felt like I would remember the long factual accounts and sketches of British soldier life in India/Afghanistan. Those accounts were well written, but tediously detailed. I would have enjoyed a more succinct version. However, I feel the book was well researched and it gives a great historical reference of the time period and cultures of the British, Indian, and Afghanistan peoples. Would I recommend the book? Yes, but I would preface my recommendation with the fact that it has a great character, but this book is also meant to be historically informative and so it is not purely a pleasure read but educational. I learned much about the time period and East Indian and Afghanistan culture which helps me better understand the beliefs and political angst that occurs today in those regiouns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Far Pavilions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teri *sigh* now I'm really feeling unmotivated!

Lauren DeAnn gave it 5 stars, there is hope. I think at this point in the pregnancy game I needed something a little faster paced :)

DeAnn It is slow paced at the last half of the book, but my favorite genre of book is historical novels so i was completely fascinated by it all :)

Kendra I totally agree with your whole review :) That's exactly how i felt about it too. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this so I would be motivated to read it too :)

Lauren Yay, I am glad you read it! It was definitely a memorable book although I can't remember details now, if that makes sense. The culture is interesting. I just watched life of pi and that was another interesting insight to hindu culture. Sadly this is really one of the last real books I have read, lol!

Kendra haha, I know you've been busy! You're kids are so stinkin' cute by the way. I'm glad I saw that you read this, I really liked this book