Natalie 's Reviews > Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

1969199
Jul 07, 10

it was ok
Read from July 05 to 07, 2010

I received a copy of Life, Liberty, and Pursuit for review from Omnific Publishing. A huge thanks goes out to them for giving me the chance to read and review this book!

This book first caught my attention a few weeks ago when I saw the author post about it on Twitter. A few days later, I ended up getting a review request, and, since the description sounded interesting, I decided to give it a shot!

My first impression was rather good: exciting things were happening right off the bat. However, I found myself lagging once Eliza and David actually got into a relationship. This is the part I had a lot of trouble with. To me, it seemed like everything that happened was too convenient. I had a hard time believing that two people of their age could fall in love in just four days. I'm not saying that they couldn't have fallen in love eventually, but four days? That seemed a bit unrealistic to me. What David and Eliza had for each other was sweet, but it seemed more like an infatuation than actual love, which made me doubt whether or not the characters actually understood what love meant.

I did like some of the minor characters, especially Teagan, David's younger sister, and Nicolas, one of Eliza's best friends. I thought that they were great additions to the story, and I enjoyed almost all of the parts where they made an appearance!

The author's writing style was good, and I thought that she had an interesting start to the book, but the problem I had with the main characters resulted in me just not clicking with Life, Liberty, and Pursuit. One reason for this could be because I tend to be extremely critical (at least I admit it, right?) about how characterization and love are portrayed in books. I don't want to turn you off the book completely, because I think some of you more romantic types might enjoy it. It just wasn't for me.

Like I mentioned before, I do think that some of you might enjoy this book, and I'd like to give it another chance with a different reader, so I'll be including Life, Liberty, and Pursuit in my next Book Swapping post. If you're interested, keep an eye out!

In a Sentence

Life, Liberty, and Pursuit wasn't really my cup of tea, but if you're a big fan of romance, you might want to give it a shot anyways!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, Liberty, and Pursuit.

Cydnie I agree with your review. I had a hard time with the 'love at first sight'. I was more bugged by the waste of pages with their make-out sessions. I love a good romance, but it got old, quick.

Natalie Pretty much how I felt too! Thanks for commenting.

message 3: by CJ (new)

CJ It's interesting, because having been in a long-distance relationship, I actually found the part of the book where the main characters were separated to be very realistic - the angst, the insecurity, the loneliness. I also thought the rejection of the idea that they could "fall in love" in four days a bit harsh. Anyone who has ever had a summer romance knows that strong feelings (especially among the young) can develop quickly, yet the characters themselves recognize they are not ready to make life-changing decisions based on their relationship and express more than once their need to get to know one another better. I thought the message was very positive.