Megan's Reviews > Break

Break by Hannah Moskowitz

Jul 04, 10

Read in July, 2010

The main character in Break and I virtually have nothing in common, except for our ages. I'm a seventeen-year-old writing girl who doesn't swear and is absolutely too terrified to get in any likely-bone-breaking situations...and Jonah is a boy with a complicated mess of a home life, the pressures of his world on his shoulders, and a habit of intentionally breaking bones. Nevertheless, I found him tremendously sympathetic and compelling. This book really explores the burden of the responsibility he feels to his brother and to his family--the burden of constant tension and worry and noise. The way Jonah deals with this is obviously heartbreaking and sometimes gruesome; you just want to go into the story and make him better somehow, relieve him of all his pressures Of course, this only makes for a more interesting story. This book had huge I-just-want-to-keep-reading appeal, hence me writing this review just after I finished reading at 1:44 A.M.; it should be a pretty quick read for most, if that's something that you want in a book. The strongest aspect of the novel is Jonah's relationship with Jesse, which was complex, realistic, and filled with both love and dysfunction. Amidst the serious subject matter, Hannah Moskowitz is even able to provide some welcome humor. Her style, by the way, is superb. It packs a punch and suits this novel and her character so very well. Overall, Break is a darker, grittier sort of book than I usually read, but I ended up really enjoying it! I look forward to reading Hannah's future novels, particularly her middle grade debut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Break.