Heather's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jul 11, 10

Read from July 04 to 11, 2010

Oh boy was this good. A friend sent me the link to trailer for the upcoming movie based on the novel, and it looked so intriguing I ran out and got the book. I dug into it right away and basically never put it down.

In brief: A novel about three students (Kathy, Ruth and Tommy) told from the POV of Kathy about how their lives intertwined while they were raised at this idyllic English private school called Hailsham. But oh so much more.

Portentous. Dystopic alternate reality. Hints at mysterious secrets you want to find out the answer to. Awesome.

I just bulldozed through fueled by my burning desire to get the answers to the questions and the power of the foreboding. I can't way I was super surprised by said answers (odd for me), but it's not so much about the surprise as it is about making you think. Emotional. Poetic. Enrapturing with a slight hint of creepiness. Lovely.

How have I not read Kazuo Ishiguro before? I now have to read everything by him. He might now become one of my favorites. Seriously good. The only thing I'm sad about is that when the movie comes out, I won't be able to be surprised by anything because you can only have the first time experience once.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dana H - I definitely recommend reading everything by him as you threatened to do!!!!! DK x

Julia Heather!!! I picked this audio book because of your review... We are about half way through, listening to it right now on the drive from min to chi... And somehow we are so split about it. We both find it incredibly boring and slow but at the same time can't just turn it off either... Waiting for something to happen but it just never comes!!! Arghhh