Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)'s Reviews > Sweethearts

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, own-audiobook, contemporary, own-kindle, wishlist, favorite
Read from March 06 to 07, 2012

There are some books that will always stay with you, that change you in a small but important way (even in a way you don't realize at first or can't put into words) - this is one of those books. Jennifer was not the popular girl, in fact she was the exact opposite - overweight, a loner, and even only had one friend. But that one friend, Cameron, made all the difference in the world and changed her and her future. Cameron was her rock, her best friend, her everything. Then one day he is gone. Eight years have passed, believing Cameron has been dead this entire time, and Jennifer is now Jenna.

Jenna is skinny, popular and is in a romantic relationship for the first time ever. Know one knows about Jennifer and her past, something that Jenna is bound to keep hidden. Despite her new life, Jenna has just been going through the motions, doing what she thinks what is 'normal'. Then one day Cameron shows back up in her life, from the 'dead', and nothing is normal again.

It is hard to know where to begin with this book. I started listening to the audiobook version and after about 40 minutes I decided I couldn't listen to it anymore but had to read it, buying the Kindle version right when I got home. If it wasn't for the need of sleep the book would have been read in one sitting. While Jennifer goes through an experience that most of us are lucky not to, there is something completely relateable about her. Jenna goes through an emotional struggle between the Jennifer of her past and the Jenna of her present, struggling with the knowledge that they must co-exist. During which time memories resurface and new facts about Cameron's past and even present come to light.

Despite the severity of issues Sara Zarr explores, there is something calming about finding the connection between Jenna and Cameron and even finding your own connection with them. While I loved Jenna's character I found myself thinking about Cameron all the time, just like Jenna. He's one of those characters that leaves an imprint in your mind, that you cannot get rid of, or want to. If I had to say one thing this book lacked was it did not have enough Cameron, I wanted to know more about him! But at the same I think that was the point. Cameron is a mystery, someone that comes into your life, shakes everything up and then leaves without notice. Knowing more about him would do more damage to the book than good.

Sweethearts is a rare book in YA Literature, a once in a lifetime read that will move and change you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweethearts.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Sara Zarr
“. . .There are certain people who come into your life, and leave a mark. . . Their place in your heart is tender; a bruise of longing, a pulse of unfinished business. Just hearing their names pushes and pulls at you in a hundred ways, and when you try to define those hundred ways, describe them even to yourself, words are useless.”

Sara Zarr
“Because love, love is never finished. It circles and circles, the memories out of order and not always complete.”
tags: love

Sara Zarr
“You were never what I wanted to forget.”