Al's Reviews > Learn Me Good

Learn Me Good by John  Pearson

Jul 04, 10

bookshelves: kindle, read-post-kindle-2010
Read from July 03 to 04, 2010

The premise, one side of a back and forth email exchange between a first year elementary school teacher and a former co-worker, seemed a touch shaky. But as various books and TV shows have have proven for years, kids are funny. Something light and amusing fit my mood, so I decided I'd give it a try.

The kid part worked. As Art Linkletter used to say,"Kids Say the Darnest Things." (You kids reading this - anyone under 50 or so - google it.) The kids will keep you chucking most of the way. As will Pearson with his suggested blurb for his college reunion, “has 40 kids, all with different mothers.”

However there's a serious side at work here too. It's easily avoided or ignored if you choose. But also some clues for those looking forwhere our school systems may be missing the mark. Low budgets, the "no child left behind" program (try finding a teacher who thinks this was a good idea) and lack of parental support are a few examples.

But the biggest surprise was how well the email format worked. It provided opportunity to compare and contrast Pearson's former corporate job with that of a teacher, always in a humorous way. The biggest difference between students and former co-workers seemed to be height. The biggest similarity – maturity.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learn Me Good.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stormy (new)

Stormy I'm under 50 and I didn't have to google it!