Regine's Reviews > Daughter of Fortune

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: latin-american, owned, historical-fiction
Read from November 06 to December 20, 2011

I love Isabel Allende, but unfortunately, Daughter of Fortune just didn't do it for me. Not that this was a bad book, but there were parts that I really enjoyed, and parts that I disliked.

The first part of the novel was written very well. We are introduced to the young heroine, Eliza Sommers. Here, we are reminded of what Allende does best: strong female characters, family sagas, and straightforward, yet descriptive writing.

However, I felt there were too many things going on in this book, and it just felt short. It starts off as a family saga about a Chilean girl and her adoptive English family. It turns into a love story. A Chinese guy walks in. And then it turns into a western with a feminist message, intermingled with a rescue mission as well as another love story, which then ties into historical fiction involving the infamous bandit Jaoquin Murrieta. There were too many things going on in the book that weren't very well developed. There was so much foreshadowing that happend earlier on in the book that never came into fruition. It really left me wanting more.

I say stick to House of Spirits.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Fortune.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely Welcome back, Regine. I am still to read "House of Spirits" Oh, maybe next year. I agree with your review. Obvious, isn't it? We have the same number of stars. 'Though, I miss Allende. :)

Merry Christmas!