Bry's Reviews > Skin Deep

Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco

Jul 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
Read from July 23 to 26, 2010

This was a great first book for a series. It totally confused me at the beginning (introducing 6 characters in the first chapter?! Are you kidding me! I could barely keep track of the main character who was actually 3 characters.) but the world building was fantastic, the characters engaging, and the plot excellent.

Laura Blackstone, Mariel Tate, and Janice Crawford are all the same person thanks to Laura's fey ability to create alternate persona's and switch between them when the need calls for it. She can create any persona needed to do her job and in this case avert a complete disaster. I also loved that it hinted at issues that will certainly continue through out the series such as just who is the real Laura Blackstone? When you have immersed yourself in so many different personas for so long for so many reasons what remains of the real you? I don't even think she remembers the real her anymore.

Laura with the help of her other personas, her boss Terryn (a fairy) and a DC SWAT team members Jonathon Sinclair she has to try to thwart a major terrorist attack and solve the murder of a fellow SWAT member. There were so many front lines on the plot since the main character had 3 separate lives with different coworkers and friends. This made for a really intense, sometimes confusing, and surprising plot.

Now I haven't read the Connor Grey series by Del Franco but I intend too, but I am gathering from other reviews that he has a tendency to have slow starts in his book. This book did suffer from that a bit. It took a while to get into, and a bit longer to sort out who the hell everyone was and just what the hell was going on, but once I figured it out I was hooked.

This is a solid urban fantasy with different species, awesome abilities, political intrigues, and intense situations. I really enjoyed it and when I realized I finished this book on the 26th and the second book in the series, Face Off, was coming out on the 27th I went to the book store on my lunch break to pick up a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Deep.

07/23/2010 page 17
6.0% "The 1st chapter introduces 6 characters! That's a lot of people to keep track of right off the bat."
07/24/2010 page 70
23.0% "Getting pretty good. Only 7 chapters in and there are already so many lies, mysteries, and intrigues going on. Great tension do far."
07/25/2010 page 91
30.0% "How can 1 woman have so many different personas?? I would get so confused!!" 1 comment
07/26/2010 page 304
100.0% "Awesome book! Review to come!"

message 1: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Sounds great! :)

message 2: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sounds interesting. I have seen this author everywhere, but I have never picked up a book. I guess I now have a reason to look for his stuff.

Greta is Erikasbuddy sounds interesting!! But I bet I would get mondo confused lolz ;P I hates it when they introduce a ton of characters in the beginning. I sometimes stop reading because of that :) Nice review!

message 4: by Bry (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bry All the characters were making my brain hurt at first but once I sorted them all out they each played good roles.

Just finished the second book which came out a few days ago and really enjoyed it too. I think this series will be added to my auto-buy list!! I really want to read the author's Connor Grey series now.

Sabrina It definitely sounds like something I might like.

message 6: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Oh, that really sounds intriguing! I have to look out for this one (after I'm finished with my thesis *sigh*).

message 7: by Bry (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bry The second in the series was pretty great too!