Eznark's Reviews > The Overton Window

U 50x66
Jul 13, 10

did not like it
Read from July 04 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It's a terribly written book about a terribly stupid terrorist plot (masterminded by a PR firm) foiled by a terribly stupid protagonist (the PR dudes son, of course). The writing is really bad, the dialog is hilariously atrocious and the ending...doesn't exist. I imagine the sequel will be out by November as there is no conclusion. It's about as deep and thoughtful as a single episode of a bad conspiracy TV show.

That said, he does accomplish a few things and it's clear that these were the reason for writing the book. He uses founders quotes well to illustrate his overarching points and the monologues are surprisingly well written when taken by themselves. Even the evil PR dude's reasons and rationale are somewhat thoughtful.

There is nothing dangerous in the book, no threats to politicians or instructions for blowing up a city. In fact, there aren't even any political characters. Politicians are meaningless puppets of the PR mastermind. I am 100% convinced that the Washington Post reviewer did not make it past 50 pages of this book. Saying that this book might incite someone to violence belies either an incomprehensible lack of intelligence (it's basically like saying Avatar is going to spur people to hate the environment) or a person who simply didn't read the book. I refuse to believe the narrative was too deep and complicated for anyone to decipher it, so I am left with the conclusion that the WaPo retard simply wrote a review based on Beck's personality and the book jacket.

In fact, Beck's sole purpose in writing this book seems to be to tell Tea Party types to stop associating themselves with the lunatic fringe; anti-semites, racists, militia-men, etc. In that, I hope he is successful. He goes to childish and inane lengths to espouse the virtues of non-violence when defending Liberty.

As a novel it's abysmal, as a political polemic it's rote but as a warning to the target audience to watch who you associate with I think it works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overton Window.

07/04/2010
0.0% "just starting...for larfs"