Amy Johnston's Reviews > An Echo in the Bone

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: epic-series
Read from March 11 to 17, 2011

My rating for this book is actually 3.5 stars, but I didn't have that option. It would have been a solid 4 stars, if it weren't for the tedious Lord Grey/Willie ramblings that I've seen others complain about as well. I appreciated those characters much more when we had them in small doses, but the great chunks devoted to them in this book - at least in the first 2/3 of the book - were mind-numbingly boring. Thankfully, that was resolved in the last third for the most part.

There was almost TOO much shoved into this book, but I was more apt to slog through this one that I was while reading the previous two books in the series. I would have liked a few more resolutions to the multitude of plot lines towards the end. Instead of a convergence of cliffhangers (which when looked at all together can be seen easily), it felt more like she had abandoned various storylines along the way. Otherwise, I am now done with reading all of the Outlander books currently in print and will now have to wait dutifully with the rest of the fans for the next however many years until she manages to complete the next installment. I admit that I am hoping that she has no more than one or two books remaining. I would have hoped by this time that there would have been some sense of the end looming (a la the HP series), but instead it still feels like the story will have no end. And unlike some, I find no appeal in a neverending story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Bone.