Carm's Reviews > The Trouble With Poetry - And Other Poems

The Trouble With Poetry - And Other Poems by Billy Collins

Jul 17, 10

bookshelves: library-books, poetry, read-in-2010, summer-self-challenge-2010
Read from July 04 to 09, 2010

I tend to really like Billy Collins poetry and the cover of this one looked so promising. I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped but here were the poems I did love in part or in all:

"I Ask You" (p29)

I liked this poem best after the last handful of lines:
"So forgive me
if I lower my head and listen
to short bass candle as he takes a solo
while my heart
thrums under my shirt--
frog at the edge of the pond--
and my thoughts fly off to a province
composed of one enormous sky
and about a million empty branches"

"Breathless" (p31)

Just love this movie so much that my heart beat a little faster at the mention of Jean-Paul Belmondo in the poem. But the image of the way the persona would like to be buried seemed sort of wonderful to me.

"Flock" (p35)
"It has been calculated that each copy of the Gutenberg Bible... required the skins of 300 sheet. --from an article on printing"
That is the subheading below the title of the poem contemplating the penned sheep and the phrase "The Lord is my Shepherd"

"The Student" (p51)
This tongue-in-cheek poem mocks the poetry instruction book "the student" bought with advice for the writer.

"The Revenant" (p65)
A dead dog narrates this wicked poem, reflecting on his restrained miserable life.

"See No Evil" (p67)
The three famous monkeys who neither saw, spoke or heard evil are the characters in this clever poem.

"The Trouble with Poetry" (p83)
The title poem of this collection, is a poem about poetry and how all poets are thieves of other poets. Frankly, I love poems about poetry and so it may be for this very poem that I checked this book out of the library.

Next up... Ballistics by Billy Collins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble With Poetry - And Other Poems.