UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Catching Caroline

Catching Caroline by Sylvia Day

Jul 04, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, author-sylvia-day, pnr-vampires, quickies, historical-pnr, vampires, reviewed-by-me, pnr-romance, ebook-own-have-read
Recommended for: Fans of Vampires, Historical Romance and Quick Reads..
Read on July 04, 2010 , read count: 1

Author Note

Dear Reader,

This story was written before I sold my first book. In other words, it’s not up to the same standards as my present-day writing. When the rights to this story reverted back to me, I considered editing it again. Then I realized there was really no way to edit this story; I would have to rewrite it. Caroline is uniquely unlike my usual heroines. Changing her would require changing the whole tale, and changing the whole tale would destroy it. This story is written differently from how I would write it today, but that’s okay.

So I present Catching Caroline to you as a free gift in the exact same form in which it was first published. I hope you enjoy it!

— Sylvia

I hadn’t read anything by Sylvia Day up until now, nor have I ever read a vampire story in a historical romance setting, so I was glad to have found Catching Caroline as a freebie so I could give Day's writing a try without it costing me anything if I didn't like it. Right up front the author explains that this is one of her first writings and she’s given it to us just as it was, without revisions or editing, and frankly, I think it’s great just as it is!

For a short story, I think she did a fantastic job of character development and story building. It sounds like Day’s vampire world would be a fun, exciting one to explore, and I’m hoping that I’ll have that chance some day.

Catching Caroline can be downloaded here: http://www.sylviaday.com/books/caroline/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Caroline.

02/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine If you haven't read about vampires in a historical setting you might want to check out the Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason. A lot of people love them. They're about vampires and vampire hunters. I believe the series is done too.

The Rest Falls Away (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Colleen Gleason Rises The Night (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Colleen Gleason The Bleeding Dusk (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #3) by Colleen Gleason When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #4) by Colleen Gleason As Shadows Fade (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #5) by Colleen Gleason

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I just downloaded a short story called Victoria Gardella Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles) by Colleen Gleason but I haven't read it yet. Wow, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I added it to my shelf, thanks again!

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Were you ever a fan of the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine No problem!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I never watched the series, because I wasn't a big TV watcher back then. Though I watch and loved Moonlight, the vampire show that was on a few years ago.

So the Gardella books, are they YA?

message 7: by Catherine (last edited Jul 04, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Catherine No, they're not YA. I'm not a big YA reader, so most of the books I reference won't be in that genre.

That's good that you didn't watch it. I couldn't get into the books because they reminded me way too much of the TV series.

I hope you enjoy them!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Did you see me mention the new series coming out? It's the Tudor Vampire Chronicles by Kate Pearce. It looks really, really good. The first book is due August 3rd. Kiss of the Rose The Tudor Vampire Chronicles by Kate Pearce

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine No, I must have missed that post. It looks interesting. Have you read anything else by her? Would you recommend it?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've read a couple by her. This is the only 1 I've reviewed

The other book to the series I started but wasn't able to finish, but I need to.

People RAVE about her Simply series. Simply Sexual (House of Pleasure, #1) by Kate Pearce is book 1. She writes mostly erotica, but I'm hoping there will be plenty of substance to the Tudor Vampire series. I want another strong, edgy series like the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hmmm... I think I'll add it to my list!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It couldn't hurt to add it so you don't forget about it. I'll be getting as soon as it comes out, just because I'm desperate for another good vampire series. ***fingers crossed***

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Well if you come across some good ones let me know. I love vampire stories.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Have you read the Darkyn series or Midnight Breeds? I've read them both and they're as close to BDB as I've come.

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I've read one of the Darkyn series and didn't enjoy it at all. I have also read the Midnight Breeds and do enjoy them.

I know it's blasphemy to most readers, but I am not a fan of the BDB.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish That's ok, I forgive you! LOL BDB is very, very different.

I like Darkyn, but only certain aspects of the series, not each individual story. I really liked Michael and Alex and the whole "vampirism is a virus" theory.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, and I really like Midnight Breeds. I wish someone else could do Vampires justice. I feel bad for them as a race that no author can get them 'right' LOL

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I know! I wish I could find more stories or series about them that I liked. I much prefer vampires to shifters.

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine That came out wrong. I do read and enjoy shifter books, but I'd rather read about vampires.

Have you read A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2) by Marjorie M. Liu? I enjoyed it.

message 20: by Haelhaelhael (new)

Haelhaelhael wow thanks for this! I might check it out. :D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish The only shifter books I've read (other than Twilight) is the Upyr series by Emma Holly. No, I've thought about trying the series by Liu, but never got around to it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hael wrote: "wow thanks for this! I might check it out. :D"

Hey, it's free! Why not? LOL

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I think it's a series from multiple authors using the same world. I only read this one. I do read Liu's Dirk & Steele series and her Hunter Kiss series. The Dirk & Steele ones are very different, but I enjoy them.

Have you read the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs or the Alpha & Omega series by the same author? I think they're both very well done although I enjoy the Alpha & Omega series more (it's more focused on the relationship).

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I haven't read any of those, actually. I know a lot of people do, but I haven't gotten around to them yet. I think what happened was I discovered the BDB first, and was heavy into reading those (the first 6 books were out when I discovered them) and so didn't really look into the others.

How do you feel about the Carpathians by Christine Feehan?

message 25: by Haelhaelhael (new)

Haelhaelhael Lady UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Hael wrote: "wow thanks for this! I might check it out. :D"

Hey, it's free! Why not? LOL"

haha! I would but probably soon I still have long line of pending books to read! xD

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I used to love them, but then I hated them. I think it's a case of tastes changing, you know? I just got tired of the girls being dominated. That hero type is no longer one I like.

I'd recommend trying one just to see if you like her style or not.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Catherine, I've read them all except the last. I just wondered what you thought. You'll be happy to hear the over the last few books, the females are taking on a bigger role, much to the males dismay. Makes for some fun times. LOL

message 28: by Catherine (last edited Jul 04, 2010 05:59PM) (new)

Catherine Ah, I see. It's useful to see where people stand on certain books you like or dislike so you can see if your tastes align.

I'm happy to hear that they're starting to become more equal.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish They started getting monotonous, but I still love Feehan. I read her GhostWalkers and Leopard People series, too.

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I've read some of her GhostWalkers too. I enjoyed them for awhile, but I think I just became exhausted by Feehan's style. They all started to seem alike.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Have you tried Leopard? You can start with book 3, Burning Wild. The first two are more novella and you won't miss much by skipping them.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine No, I haven't read that book. Would you recommend that to someone who really doesn't like the style of her other series? What I mean is, is her style different in this than in the other series?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish These are edgier I think... but her writing is still... I don't know how to put it... If it's her style you don't like, then I can't recommend it because while the stories are different of course, they are still written by her. I liked the writing and the story Burning Wild better than anything I've read by her lately, but that doesn't mean you'd like it.

I really don't like her Drake Sisters series, so I can be impartial, but when it's all said and done, I do like her and can only say that this series has a different to me, but you may still feel the same way about the writing itself.

Maybe see if a library has it and give it a shot.

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine It's not necessarily her style, it's more the way she always writes her hero and heroine. The heroine is either sweet and innocent and easily walked over, or portrayed as strong but ends up being easily walked over. I'm tired of reading about men dominating women. I'd rather read about a partnership.

Is this book more of the same, or is it more what I'm looking for?

message 35: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 05, 2010 12:12AM) (new)

Adrienne I have this to read and didn't realize it was about vampires, I'm currently reading Susan Squire's regency vampire series which has a similar feel to SDs later regency stories. I realize her (SDs) writing style has changed but I'm now looking forward to reading this.....

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Catherine, in the beginning, the heroine just sits back and takes Jakes crap, but if I remember right, she ends up doing things her way, which still includes spending her life with Jake, but still in all, Feehan's males are more alpha than most, and that works for me.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Adrienne wrote: "I have this to read and didn't realize it was about vampires, I'm currently reading Susan Squire's regency vampire series which has a similar feel to SDs later regency stories. I realize her (SDs) ..."

It's very short, but it gives a glimpse into a hierarchy and some abilities, but not much. It's still worth a read, for sure!

I want to know more about Squire's vampire series.

message 38: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hmmm... I'll put it on the list, just to see.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Catherine wrote: "Hmmm... I'll put it on the list, just to see."

It couldn't hurt. Or maybe it could, depending on much you dislike her writing. LOL