Jackie's Reviews > Rubyfruit Jungle

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

Jul 04, 10

bookshelves: generally-gay-not-strictly-straight
Read in July, 2010

I just sat down and read this. I wasn't planning on reading the entire thing, but it's the 4th of July and sometimes these things happen.
I really loved this book from a historical standpoint, with Molly kind of personifying the early struggles of both the women's and gay rights movements. What I didn't like so much was the lack of subtle exposition. I was willing to forgive the book for some clunky dialogue in the name of politics, but after a while it started to grate on me. More easily forgiven
(in context) but just as irritating was the constant hating on heterosexuality. I understand. Turnabout is fair play. And I totally get that carving out gay identity is important. Just don't tell me I'm boring.
The story, though, I enjoyed. I've read countless male versions of this story--someone leaving the country and their incomprehending family and striking out for the city where they endure hardships but start to make a name for themselves--but instead of seeming like a rehash, Molly's story was fresh and, finally, complicated. The ending was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rubyfruit Jungle.