Andrew's Reviews > Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy

Freefall by Joseph E. Stiglitz

Jul 11, 10

Read from July 04 to 11, 2010

I've read most of Stiglitz's books, and I would say this is his most valuable contribution to date. The book is an excellent economic survey of the financial collapse, and includes a detailed treatment of alternative rescue strategies that would have helped citizens and taxpayers but were never considered. Stiglitz is unsparing in his criticism of both the Bush and Obama administrations' handling of the crisis, a notable thing for a former Democratic presidential advisor.

There are a couple parts of the book I would have liked to see developed further. For one, toward the end of the book, Stiglitz equates the fall of Lehman Brothers to the fall of the Berlin Wall in its implications for American-style capitalism. He doesn't go into much historical detail here, though, which he easily could have and which would have been nice to see. Overall, though, it's a valuable read from a very gifted economic and human thinker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freefall.