Alisha Marie's Reviews > Backseat Saints

Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson

Jul 04, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, drama, southern-fiction
Read in July, 2010

I picked up Backseat Saints because I saw an ad about it on Goodreads which had a line that went something like "A gypsy told me I had to kill me husband or he'd kill me." Immediately, I thought "Wow! This seems like it could have a lot of potential..." And I was not mistaken. Backseat Saints was an amazing and gripping novel. It wasn't what I expected in the most wonderful way.

I tend to love novels about the South. While most people I know want to live in California or New York or England, etc., etc. I really just want to settle down in some state in the South. So, I guess that I'm just living vicariously through these books (only in terms of destination, though). So, that was a big reason why I was so interested in Backseat Saints. I expected a book that was mildly dark (it is about domestic abuse, after all), but with it's share of lightness (as most novels about the South that I've read tend to be full of light), but it wasn't. Don't get me wrong. There was a bit of humor in this book (one part in particular was when Rose wanted to talk to Arlene and Arlene climbed a tree to avoid her; that part just had me in stitches due to the absurdity of it all), but most of the book was way darker than I expected. But there seemed to be just enough balance to it that I didn't feel utterly depressed, yet I also didn't feel like the author was making light of a terrible situation.

Now, the main character, Ro Grandee (or Rose Mae Lolley or Ivy Rose), was written in an utterly amazing way. Right from the beginning, I could sense the distinction between each of these personalities within this one woman. And I was charmed by them all. While Ro is deliciously flawed, Rose Mae was all types of badass, and Ivy Rose had all of these characteristics with a dash of bitterness as well. Yet, every single facet of this woman rang true. I never once thought that one of them was an act.

Anyway, I thought Backseat Saints was a tremendous novel. It starts up and it never lets up even when you reach the shocking conclusion. It had a bit of that Southern charm that I love, a sprinkling of that sort of "coming of age" mentality, and it was also a whole lot of thriller. But most of all, it was just plain amazing! I highly recommend it and can't wait to read Gods in Alabama by the same author, especially considering that that one deals with Arlene and she had me intrigued in the cameo she had in Backseat Saints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backseat Saints.

07/04 page 157