Shannon C.'s Reviews > After the Night

After the Night by Linda Howard

Jul 04, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: suspense-mystery

I bought this book based on the positive recommendations and ended up disappointed and wondering if we read the same book. Gray, the supposed hero, is a jerk. He consistently mistreats Faith and seems to be borderline obsessed with her. I liked Faith as a character--poor girl from the wrong side of the tracks works hard to get an education and become successful. But I didn't buy her wanting to move back to the small town where her family had such a bad rep, and where Gray had so much influence. She didn't even have one of her agencies there. It made no sense, given how smart she was in other areas. I would have tried to stay as far away from that jerk as I could and I didn't buy that she continued to be attracted to him after the way he acted--even if she had had a childhood crush on him. The suspense parts of the story were done though and the mystery pulled together at the end.

If you want to give Linda Howard a try, try Cry No More or Mr Perfect. Those are much better reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Night.

02/18 marked as: read

Zeek yeah Grey turns off alot of people. He didn't bother me because Faith holds her own in the end. But I STILL like it better than her latest crap. BORing. (The Kell Sabin series and Mackenzie series is still my favorite- srsly rec Mackenzie's Mountain! :) )

Shannon C. I need to finish the MacKenzie series. I haven't tried the Kell Sabin series. Will look those up. :)

Zeek Midnight Rainbow is the first but Diamond Bay is my fav! :) (you really don't have to read then in order btw...)

Shannon C. I just ordered Midnight Rainbow but couldn't find Diamond Bay at a decent price. Not sure what's going on w/that book. Maybe it was recently re-released as a hard back or something. Couldn't even find an ebook.

MelissaB Shannon,

If you liked Mr. Perfect I would recommend:

Kill and Tell, All the Queen's Men (I like Kill and Tell much better but they are related)
Open Season
Heart of Fire
Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay, White Lies
Dream Man
Now You See Her
To Die For, Drop Dead Gorgeous

Shannon C. Thanks Melissa! Some of those I read and liked, some are new to me and I will check out!