Kaysey's Reviews > Cum Laude

Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: boarding-school-drama
Read from July 20 to 29, 2010

Okay, so when I saw the book in Chapters one day I nearly lost my breath I was so shocked. I hadn't even heard of the book and since my other favourite series by her, It Girl, came to a end I have to say I was scavenging for something Cecily Style to read. So on impulse I shed like 25 bucks for the hardcover book thinking it'd live up to my expectations.

It crashed. Hard. Like I'm still trying to get over how much I hated the book without giving the whole book away. Shipley is kind of typical. Gorgeous, thin, blonde, and rich. She's also a virgin. She's arrived at Dexter College, the school her brother once attended before supposedly disappearing off the face of the earth. Why she's there, I still kind of don't understand except that it might be some kind of rebellion against her seemingly absent parents. She's also picked up a attractive habit of smoking.
So fash forward a bit so I don't rambleon. Shipley meets her eccentric but slightly ammusing roommate Eliza, her boyfriend whom she falls in love with at first sight, Tom, the allergenic pothead Nick who is Tom's roommate, and later meets unrelated brother and sister Adam and Tragedy. Eliza begins a secret jealous-i-hate-her relationship with Shipley and i don't blame her. She's quite the opposite of Shipley. Not rich, not blonde, and not a boy-magnet. This brings me to one of the things I hated most about Shipley and the book. I thought I was doing an 'Eliza' and just being uncertifiably jealous after my first encounter with Shipley. It seemed like every guy that laid her eyes on Shipley had fallen in love with her. But as the book progressed my feelings didn't change. Only intensified until halfway into the book when I almost abandoned the book. Naturally I couldn't so I trudged on and tried not to get angry that she was being a sneaky two-timer. Erg, that part made me mad.
I'm not going to continue summarizing the book but say that I didn't like the book, I'm thoroughly disappointed, and I'm angry that I spent so much on a book that I didn't like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cum Laude.

07/28/2010 page 127

Kaysey I kinda wanna abandon the book I'm not even halfway in and I'm already bored. Not good. I'm really pissed of with Shipley and much like her roommate I keep having the urge to slap her upside the head.