Lisa's Reviews > Novel About My Wife

Novel About My Wife by Emily Perkins

Jul 07, 10

Read from July 04 to 07, 2010

Novel about My Wife is a very interesting book. It reminded me a bit of Louis Nowra’s Ice in its treatment of a not-quite-reliable narrator posthumously explaining about his wife. Admittedly in Ice she’s not quite dead yet but she may as well be and the grief and irrational thinking about lost opportunities is the same. Novel about My Wife is more gothic, however, and for all its ambiguities, a more straightforward story.

Tom Stone’s wife is dead, and he is telling the story of their life together in Hackney in London. He’s a not-very-successful scriptwriter and she makes masks for cancer patients. They are always short of money, but always have plenty to spend on, courtesy of credit cards and loans from his mother even though he doesn’t like her and mocks her for being too conservative.

So, they were a very modern young couple with a baby on the way when Ann started seeing an intruder around the home. The suspense hinges on whether this intruder is real or imagined and I’m not going to spoil it for anyone by commenting on that.

Read the rest of this review at http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/201...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Novel About My Wife.

07/04/2010 page 79