Emilyandherlittlepinknotes's Reviews > Under the Rose

Under the Rose by Diana Peterfreund

Aug 09, 2010

bookshelves: chick-lit-for-a-twenty-something, romance, ya, young-adult
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I hereby confess Under The Rose is better than Secret Society Girls.

Warning: this review might contain spoilers

Why do I like this series so much?

Those days it’s hard to find a smart heroine that has a dry sense of humor, manages to be spontaneous and paranoid at the same time, doesn’t make a big deal of sleeping with a guy she has no intention of getting into a relationship with and doesn’t actually fall in love with him (as it would surely happen in any other series if the guy in question was deliciously hot as George Prescott).

Amy doesn’t really know what she wants but she has values (and prejudices) , she strongly believe in friendship and she is loyal.

Amy could easily be one of my own friends, she also remembers me of myself . The are so many sharp passages in which Peterfreund summarizes in an effective way rambling conversations that I had in the last ten years.

Honestly those characters (Lydia, Bugaboo, Soze, Puck, Poe…) are so specials that I can’t help finding something good in each of them and as much as I am already developing a small crush on one of them (mirroring Amy’s feelings) I can’t help grinning whenever George aka Puck appears on stage.

The most charming unpredictable character of this second book in the series is James (Jamie) Orcutt aka Poe and I can’t wait to see more of Amy and Poe. I love those parts in which those two are together, I love Poe’s ways. He is not your usual hero and when it comes to fiction (or reality) I like an unconventional male character more than anything else.

Plus it’ s a mystery story that makes sense, there is plenty of action, there is plot that works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Rose.