Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3270188
's review
Dec 04, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: just-plain-bad, kat-s-book-reviews, kat-s-rants, ya-pnr-maddness
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: The world. A very gender confused world.
Recommended for: Insomniacs... no, sorry, even then it's too cruel.
Read from July 04 to 07, 2010 , read count: 1

I started reading this book and a curious thing happened. Suddenly my house was sparkling clean, my bills were filed away, I started playing Farm Story and reached level 13 in one day, I did my tax, I spent two hours chatting to the chatbott, Jabberwocky...Anything, and I mean ANYTHING to avoid the boredom of reading Shiver. Shiver, the story of a girl drastically into beastiality, only to find out her wolf lover was really a boy. As I read this book I had the strange urge to lock up my German sheppard should Grace ever decide to visit my home because she really does fall in love with a dog... for YEARS before she ever finds out it's a boy or that things like werewolves exist. I can't even begin to express how creepy her obsession with a wolf is.

I get the whole eternal love thing. Perhaps Stiefvater was trying to show that Sam and Grace's connection transcends all the things love actually isn't supposed to transcend. Maybe I'm just weird and completely unromantic, but I've never looked at Fido and found a kindred spirit. I never passed a dog down the street and found that I couldn't be attracted to men because they just weren't going to cut it for me anymore.

So, other than the fact that this book disturbed the fucking hell out of me, bored me to death and dragged on like a visit to the old folk's home, it was also poorly edited. The writing wasn't TOO bad. Some of the poems were down right rubbish, and some of the others were alright.

Grace and Sam's voices were near identical. Oh, and another thing, Sam was annoyingly chaste for way too long. Where were all of these careful, thoughtful boys when I was in high school? It's a disturbing trend, really. Edward Cullen, Sam Roth, Daniel Gregori... they all came pre-pussy whipped and I'm kind of wondering what the attraction is.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for bad boys. Maybe I like boys that I COULDN'T imagine comfortably playing bridge with my 80 year old grandma (not to mention enjoying it!) What is with the sudden need to keep us women in line? If I read one more paranormal, male hunk refuse the supposed love of his life, who is literally flinging her naked body onto him, then I think I'm going to start a convention... a Ball Replacement Convention.

C'mon, Stiefvater! Give the boy his balls back, please! He complained that a jacket made him look bulky! He wrote a poem about a leaking womb! What teenage boy doesn't shudder at the thought of menstrual blood? What next? Chipped nail, PMS cramps? Is he going to stamp his foot and mutter, "Drat! I can't believe Jennifer is wearing the same dress as me! I think I might just die!"

Look, I know I'm being incredibly sexist. After all, it was kind of nice to read about a "stoic" female character and an emotional, gentle male character. But Sam felt and read far too much like a middle aged woman and not like a teenage boy. I didn't feel like he was well characterized or fleshed out enough.

So all in all, I can't muster the energy to rant about this book. It was REALLY boring. It was average on the writing scale. It's secondary characterization was pretty good but the main characters didn't do it for me. The plot was SLOW.

Her parents were stupid. I could complain that they were unrealistic - but I've met some fucked up parents over my life, so I'll buy that they really could be that moronic. What I will complain about is where they get this amazing and varied social life in a small town. It never explains why Sam's fate is mysteriously different to Jack's. Maybe I'm just stupid... No. I don't buy that. Was it because he was out in the freezing cold so it kept his temperature reasonable? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of giving him a crazy-ass fever? Was it actually because he processed it as a wolf? Well that doesn't make sense because Grace never changed.

And what's with the dramatic ending? Really? He gets cured and goes home and gets dressed and reads a few books, checks his mail, gives himself a mani and a pedi, goes on a diet, waits for his skin to clear up, buys the perfect set of shoes and THEN tracks down the love of his life who he thought he'd never see again? I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO! How about stumbling through the forest naked and desperately arriving in Grace's backyard because he can't believe the complete miracle of his cure and can't wait to have the love of his life back in his arms? Yeah, that ending makes so much more sense.

I don't get why this is popular. But then, I don't get why Fallen is popular either. It's just all beyond me. Now I'm off to see if I can cram the word "balls" into this review anymore.

Balls, balls, balls. Oh my goodness she fell in love with a dog! Balls.

Balls.


This review can also be found on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
993 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

07/05 page 70
18.0% "Save me."
07/06 page 213
54.0% "Why?! Oh why?! *Collapses in tears*" 5 comments
02/12 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 151-200 of 258) </span> <span class="smallText">(258 new)</span>


message 151: by Sarah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah I disagree with you. You seem to have quite a mean streak going here, protesting too much? There is no way I could possibly write out exactly how much I don't agree with you in a reasonable amount of time.


Kat Kennedy And I think you're mean so it's all equal.


message 153: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I disagree with you. You seem to have quite a mean streak going here, protesting too much? There is no way I could possibly write out exactly how much I don't agree with you in a reasonable amount ..."

There was a respectable way to say what you said but somewhere along the lines you became a troll. You should re-think your methods.


message 154: by [deleted user] (new)

Another one? Really? Le zzzzzzzzzz. This isn't even a good troll. Try harder, failer.


message 155: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I disagree with you. You seem to have quite a mean streak going here, protesting too much? There is no way I could possibly write out exactly how much I don't agree with you in a reasonable amount ..."

Ugh. Here it goes:
Congratulations! You have AN OPINION OF A BOOK!!

Things you should do with YOUR OPINION OF A BOOK:
1. Post your own review of YOUR OPINION OF THE BOOK!
2. Do not shove YOUR OPINION OF THE BOOK down the throats of other reviewers!
3. Talk to others who share YOUR OPINION OF THE BOOK!
4. Not be a nasty little troll on someone's review that does not share YOUR OPINION OF THE BOOK.

Do you get the point yet?


Jennifer Bookworm Coalition LOLOLOL
Lyn, that was awesome!!


Howdy YAL LOL this review was hilarious, Kat. You described everything I found wrong with Grace perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

@Lyn, lol. You think that that what you said would be common sense but apparently not :(


message 159: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this saved in a word document. I am using it for the trolls.
If they keep coming back, then I get snarky.


message 160: by MLE (new)

MLE Lyn wrote: "I have this saved in a word document. I am using it for the trolls.
If they keep coming back, then I get snarky."


Awesome! Sadly I think you will find it's going to come in handy. Although I'm not looking forward to more trolls, I always enjoy a good bout of snark.


message 161: by [deleted user] (new)

Sadly,I have been using it A LOT over the last few days.


message 162: by MLE (new)

MLE Lyn wrote: "Sadly,I have been using it A LOT over the last few days."

From the behavior of some readers (and even authors) on this site I am not surprised. Fed up, yes. Disgusted, more than a bit. Tired of the fourth grade drama, yes, but I can't say I'm surprised by it anymore. More than a few of these readers are plenty old enough to know better, and it's sad to see fully grown adults attacking teenagers.


message 163: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't agree with you more!Especially on the fact that Grace and Sam's personalities blended together to be exactly the same. However, I'd say it was that way for ALL characters. I didn't think there was anything unique about them that made any of them stand out, even just a little to say Im not this person. I got excited when Isabel was first introduced as the very, very typical mean girl, but even then she seemed to be a carbon copy of Grace/Sam/whoever was mentioned before. Whats really sad is that I wanted to like it.


Elizabeth I'm only half way through the book and my friend bought me this book (my friend is a lot like Sam, heterosexual male with no balls) for my birthday back in 2010 and I finally got past chapter 1 back in October but I still can't finish this book! It's killing me and I'm trying to get through it just because my friends say I will LOVE the book at the end. I highly doubt that

On a sidenote: I love Fallen, but I think I only like the series because I'm delusional and still rooting for Cam and... man I can't even remember her name lol.


message 165: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you could have gotten your point across without being so crude


message 166: by MLE (new)

MLE Emily wrote: "I think you could have gotten your point across without being so crude"

So, this is her review, her space to record her impressions of the book in her own words. Goodreads, if you look at the report feature, does not censor for "crude" language, so each one of us has the ability to write using the words they chose. It is not your place to police the langauge of others here.


message 167: by [deleted user] (new)

well, I'm just saying, it offended me a bit. i'm not saying she has to change to content or the words she uses.


message 168: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "I think you could have gotten your point across without being so crude"
Oh look, a 5 star person bemoaning about a review that contradicts their own.


message 169: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "well, I'm just saying, it offended me a bit. i'm not saying she has to change to content or the words she uses."

So? I'm offended that you would come on here and attack Kat for her review.
Go play somewhere else.


Kat Kennedy I'm sorry, Emily. I never mean for my language to offend people. But, as my mother always says:

Fuck titties douchenozzel com-quat salty-balled dick-smuggling butt-licker.

I hope that clears it up.


message 171: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Sorry to butt in here-- Today I received a private message from a GR member, with whom I've never spoken, pretty much bullying me for my positive "gushing" review of a book she'd hated!! Seriously?? I couldn't even respond... I have no problem with people leaving comments which oppose mine- in fact, I find it interesting. But at least be POLITE and respectful of someone who, God forbid, enjoyed something you did not! This is the only aspect of GR that baffles me... People critiquing reviews!! I have not read "Shiver" but let's pretend I did, and LOVED it...a less offensive response would be: "Kat, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book, but holy balls, I loved it!" Easy-squeezey...simple as that! Being nice is, well, nice. Who knew?? (UGH... Sorry for rambling here, but this nonsense irks me- and the message I received didn't help.)


message 172: by MLE (new)

MLE Kris wrote: "Sorry to butt in here-- Today I received a private message from a GR member, with whom I've never spoken, pretty much bullying me for my positive "gushing" review of a book she'd hated!! Seriously?..."

That's horrible, and I hope you reported that shit!


message 173: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) I actually felt bad reporting bc I'm not sure what the consequences would be. I just ignored the message, but if she writes me again- I will definitely report! Thanks, Emily! I just found the whole thing very strange.


message 174: by [deleted user] (new)

Kris wrote: "Sorry to butt in here-- Today I received a private message from a GR member, with whom I've never spoken, pretty much bullying me for my positive "gushing" review of a book she'd hated!! Seriously?..."
That is crazy. Someone chewed through their restrains, it seems.


message 175: by Kenny (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenny Kendal I liked this book, but I can see where your Comming from though. If it offers any peace at mind, the first book is the best in my opinion.


message 176: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose I agree with you from the very beginning to the end of the review. You made my day, totally.


Courtney This is honestly the best review of Shiver!


message 178: by Ifigenia (last edited Aug 02, 2012 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ifigenia Best review ever! For shiver and fallen and twilight and all those trush books that pass as novels these days


message 179: by Kendra (new) - rated it 1 star

Kendra i think that this review is beautiful! :)


message 180: by Leticia (new)

Leticia Love your review! And for sure I will stay away from this book!


message 181: by Kristal (new) - added it

Kristal I have the urge now to read this book in the hopes that I will become motivated to clean...I'm gonna skip this one...thanks for the honest review!


message 182: by [deleted user] (new)

Your review is so funny. I am half way through the book and noticed much of the same things you did. Sam's behavior is really illogical. He's been turned into a wolf, had all this terrible stuff happen to him and yet all he can think about is some girl. It sounds like he's suffering from some mental disorder. I still find the book entertaining, but the nonsense keeps piling up. Also, Grace seems to become a totally different person when human Sam enters her life.


message 183: by Despair (new) - rated it 1 star

Despair Speaking Hooray! Someone who also doesn't like this book! I don't know why others do, especially those I admire!


message 184: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna Haha you had me laughing at "Ball Replacement Convention"!


Holly's pages in pink Omg this review is HI-larious!!!!!! BALLS!!!!!


message 186: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I love your reviews. We have read some of the same books and then when I go looking for a new book to read I usually come across your reviews, which helps to to decide whether to read it or not. Thank you so much for your honesty and the laughs on this review!


Cynthia I think it was ok, but eventually half way through I had to put it down because it was overdue and i couldnt seem to finish it


message 188: by Sophie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie Williams This review made me laugh so much!! My two friends were obsessed with this trilogy, and I found it interesting enough, but the whole werewolf thing really isn't for me. I have tried to explain to them that they should go read some more books but thy are adimant against it... Maybe I'll just show them this. Made my day!


Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Okay after finally finishing this, I have to agree with a few points here. While myself don't mind the sensitive boy part, the whole chaste thing especially pissed me off. Seriously, if the girl is literally telling you not to behave and you're still holding on to some gentleman notion the ugghh what the fuck


Rebecca I agree with all the points you made, and thanks to you I now don't have to right a review because you did for me. thanks a million xxxxxxxx p.s balls


message 191: by Leilania (new) - added it

Leilania Frias lmbo ..... this book is truly boring .....


message 192: by Gianna (new) - added it

Gianna I've read over a lot of the comments and reviews here and I must say...as a reader and a writer myself...you guys have absolutely no respect for what a writer puts into their work. Some of the crap that has been said should not be said. Do you really have to bore other readers with your extremely long descriptive reasoning why you disliked it? Because I stopped reading it after the first paragraph. How about trying to just say, "I found the story boring. It did not interest me." Because some of us find people like you extremely offensive when it comes to valid reviewers. Learn to respect a writer and write a review with respect. Never trash a writer or their work because I know you wouldn't like it if someone came to your jobs and trashed you and the work you did.


Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Gianna wrote: "I've read over a lot of the comments and reviews here and I must say...as a reader and a writer myself...you guys have absolutely no respect for what a writer puts into their work. Some of the crap..."


Are you serious? You're here, telling people how long their reviews should be?

Have you considered that others may like and value long reviews that go into detail? It's not disrespectful - it's honest. Kat has a right to write any kid of response she wants - she bought it, she's entitled to talk about how she feels.

Here's an idea: never go into someone's *personal* review space and tell them: a. They're wrong or b. how to write up their own opinions. That IS disrespectful.


message 194: by Gianna (new) - added it

Gianna *laughs* I didn't say her opinion was wrong. Just how she went about writing it. There is a difference. And if people don't want others commenting, then they shouldn't be posting. In the writing community the way she wrote her review, and many others do, is called trolling. I'm not calling her a troll or anyone that writes reviews like this. I was very respectful in what I said. I just happen to be standing up for writers, their work, and the fact that there is a difference between trashing a work or author and writing a negative review. I will gladly point out the differences to anyone who doesn't understand. But in answer to your original question, yes, I am serious.


message 195: by [deleted user] (new)

Gianna wrote: "I must say...as a reader and a writer myself...you guys have absolutely no respect for what a writer puts into their work.

Do you really have to bore other readers with your extremely long descriptive reasoning why you disliked it?

So you put us down for saying that we have no respect, then you attack reviewers.

Just how she went about writing it.

You're okay with attacking reviews, but not okay about honest opinions about book.

I was very respectful in what I said.

You have yet to show any respect, coming onto this review and censoring a reviewer. The publishing world is going to chew you up alive if you try and censor every review you find disagreeable.


Kat Kennedy Meh, in my experience people like Gianna make horrible writers, so I'm not really concerned over her opinion of my reviews.


message 197: by [deleted user] (new)

Gianna wrote: "*laughs* I didn't say her opinion was wrong. Just how she went about writing it. There is a difference. And if people don't want others commenting, then they shouldn't be posting. In the writing co..."

Actually, Gianna, methinks you need to look up what the definition of trolling is. What YOU are doing is trolling, not Kat. No one forced you to read this review or come here and spew your bullshit. You came into another's space with the intention of starting an argument. THAT, my dear, is trolling.

And for the record, if I spend money on a product--that's what a book is--I will say whatever the fuck I want about it if I dislike it. That's what reviews are for. Other consumers. I never think about the author when I am writing my review, and I shouldn't have to. It makes what reviewers do less honest. Grow a thicker skin or you will fail at writing.


message 198: by Linda (last edited Jan 22, 2013 11:52PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Gianna wrote: "I've read over a lot of the comments and reviews here and I must say...as a reader and a writer myself...you guys have absolutely no respect for what a writer puts into their work. Some of the crap..."

Gianna, why aren't you showing reviewers the same respect you would give to writers? Reviewing is work, as well, and it's uncool of you to trash Kat's review in her own review thread, just like it'd be uncool for a reviewer to write a negative review in the comments of an author's blog post about the book. This is why people find your comments offensive and in bad taste.

Everyone is free to express their opinions or criticize whatever they want for whatever reason -- so Kat, and everyone else, is free to write reviews however she wants, and you're free to rip apart Kat's review, but doing it in the comments of her review is incredibly disrespectful. Go do it on your own blog if you really need to get it off your chest. Of course, if other people disagree with your post, they're also free to criticize your blog post on their own blogs. That's how the internet works.

Anyway, respect goes both ways, and you're the one who's failing to show it here, not Kat.


message 199: by Stuti (new)

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship Kat wrote: "Meh, in my experience people like Gianna make horrible writers, so I'm not really concerned over her opinion of my reviews."

And that'd called sophistication, dear children. While it may seem that she is one of us crude ones, and despit that she admitted to it, secretly Kat is from the realm of classiness.


message 200: by Stuti (new)

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship Also, please be thankful for that complement Kat. I just interrupted Through the Ever Night to post tht that comment. When I reached the...umm, what word should I use. The whole book is so awesome so calling it the good part would imply that the rest of the book isn't good. Ah, the headaches when you run out of words to describe a book. By the way, balls balls balls balls ballsy-balls!


back to top