Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3270188
's review
Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: just-plain-bad, kat-s-book-reviews, kat-s-rants, ya-pnr-maddness
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: The world. A very gender confused world.
Recommended for: Insomniacs... no, sorry, even then it's too cruel.
Read from July 04 to 07, 2010, read count: 1

I started reading this book and a curious thing happened. Suddenly my house was sparkling clean, my bills were filed away, I started playing Farm Story and reached level 13 in one day, I did my tax, I spent two hours chatting to the chatbott, Jabberwocky...Anything, and I mean ANYTHING to avoid the boredom of reading Shiver. Shiver, the story of a girl drastically into beastiality, only to find out her wolf lover was really a boy. As I read this book I had the strange urge to lock up my German sheppard should Grace ever decide to visit my home because she really does fall in love with a dog... for YEARS before she ever finds out it's a boy or that things like werewolves exist. I can't even begin to express how creepy her obsession with a wolf is.

I get the whole eternal love thing. Perhaps Stiefvater was trying to show that Sam and Grace's connection transcends all the things love actually isn't supposed to transcend. Maybe I'm just weird and completely unromantic, but I've never looked at Fido and found a kindred spirit. I never passed a dog down the street and found that I couldn't be attracted to men because they just weren't going to cut it for me anymore.

So, other than the fact that this book disturbed the fucking hell out of me, bored me to death and dragged on like a visit to the old folk's home, it was also poorly edited. The writing wasn't TOO bad. Some of the poems were down right rubbish, and some of the others were alright.

Grace and Sam's voices were near identical. Oh, and another thing, Sam was annoyingly chaste for way too long. Where were all of these careful, thoughtful boys when I was in high school? It's a disturbing trend, really. Edward Cullen, Sam Roth, Daniel Gregori... they all came pre-pussy whipped and I'm kind of wondering what the attraction is.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for bad boys. Maybe I like boys that I COULDN'T imagine comfortably playing bridge with my 80 year old grandma (not to mention enjoying it!) What is with the sudden need to keep us women in line? If I read one more paranormal, male hunk refuse the supposed love of his life, who is literally flinging her naked body onto him, then I think I'm going to start a convention... a Ball Replacement Convention.

C'mon, Stiefvater! Give the boy his balls back, please! He complained that a jacket made him look bulky! He wrote a poem about a leaking womb! What teenage boy doesn't shudder at the thought of menstrual blood? What next? Chipped nail, PMS cramps? Is he going to stamp his foot and mutter, "Drat! I can't believe Jennifer is wearing the same dress as me! I think I might just die!"

Look, I know I'm being incredibly sexist. After all, it was kind of nice to read about a "stoic" female character and an emotional, gentle male character. But Sam felt and read far too much like a middle aged woman and not like a teenage boy. I didn't feel like he was well characterized or fleshed out enough.

So all in all, I can't muster the energy to rant about this book. It was REALLY boring. It was average on the writing scale. It's secondary characterization was pretty good but the main characters didn't do it for me. The plot was SLOW.

Her parents were stupid. I could complain that they were unrealistic - but I've met some fucked up parents over my life, so I'll buy that they really could be that moronic. What I will complain about is where they get this amazing and varied social life in a small town. It never explains why Sam's fate is mysteriously different to Jack's. Maybe I'm just stupid... No. I don't buy that. Was it because he was out in the freezing cold so it kept his temperature reasonable? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of giving him a crazy-ass fever? Was it actually because he processed it as a wolf? Well that doesn't make sense because Grace never changed.

And what's with the dramatic ending? Really? He gets cured and goes home and gets dressed and reads a few books, checks his mail, gives himself a mani and a pedi, goes on a diet, waits for his skin to clear up, buys the perfect set of shoes and THEN tracks down the love of his life who he thought he'd never see again? I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO! How about stumbling through the forest naked and desperately arriving in Grace's backyard because he can't believe the complete miracle of his cure and can't wait to have the love of his life back in his arms? Yeah, that ending makes so much more sense.

I don't get why this is popular. But then, I don't get why Fallen is popular either. It's just all beyond me. Now I'm off to see if I can cram the word "balls" into this review anymore.

Balls, balls, balls. Oh my goodness she fell in love with a dog! Balls.

Balls.


This review can also be found on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
793 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.
sign in »

Reading Progress

07/05/2010 page 70
18.0% "Save me."
07/06/2010 page 213
54.0% "Why?! Oh why?! *Collapses in tears*" 5 comments

Comments (showing 101-150 of 244) (244 new)


Margarita Sns wrote: "Yuck! could not even finish this book! I must burn it! the idea of a girl falling in love with a dog she didn't before she even knew was human! she must have a mental disorder, and oh the writing! ..." Didnt Bella fall in love with a dog toO?lolz


Kat Kennedy She fell in love with a boy who she later discovers is a werewolf. In Shiver, Grace falls in love with a dog who she later discovers is a werewolf.

Big difference.


message 103: by [deleted user] (new)

yes, thank you Kat


message 104: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I'll go ahead and be the one to point out that the bigger difference would be that Jacob was a shapeshifter, not a werewolf. Sooo... this book is still majorly creepy.

And I still stand by my opinion that Bella didn't fall in love with Jacob. Her ovaries did.


message 105: by [deleted user] (new)

yes exactly i completely agree, i mean grace found the dog smell attractive! that is just wrong.


message 106: by [deleted user] (new)

More to the point its not just the fact she fell in love with a dog, but this book was completely poorly writen, that I just couldn't read it to the end and the guy\ dog souned like a girl.


message 107: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhhh, this gal's kidding, right? Please tell me you are doing that for the evulz


message 108: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Tooken. LOLOLOLOLOL Day made.


message 109: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 18, 2012 06:43PM) (new)

Yeah, I'm there with you, 'cause the option is too sad, lol
...
And wow, am I in a mean mood, lol


Kat Kennedy I'm not sure what she's actually trying to say....


message 111: by Misty (new) - rated it 2 stars

Misty Lyndi wrote: "Tooken. LOLOLOLOLOL Day made." <----- This.


message 112: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote:"I think your being capricious... i mean you STARTED to read it maybe if you actually finished a novel you wouldnt be so judgemental about a book you dont even know "
yes Jennifer but the problem is when a book is soo crap one finds it difficult to finish it, therefore they write a review based on the crap they have read, I hope this simplified explanation benefits you one day.


message 113: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 19, 2012 06:28AM) (new)

And still, like Kat says, not the point, since she did read (endured) the entire book. The gal just didn't take the time to read the entire review. Which is very, very, hypocritical.


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate This is the message that Jennifer sent me:

"wutevs youre like totes jealous cuz i like actually know how 2 read btw im only 12 and i have a collage reading level thats higher than yours will ever be and one more thing people who correct people are called a control freak."

Unfortunately, I don't think she is writing this way in order to be ironic. As an English teacher, this makes me weep. As she mentioned, she is 12. However, I teach this age group and know that most of them are quite capable of maintaining a mature and intelligent conversation. One of the things I try to teach my students is that how you portray yourself will affect whether or not others take you seriously. That includes how you write on the internet. It makes me sad to see children writing in this way and, apparently, unable to see what is wrong with their spelling, grammar and, most of all, attitude.

BTW, despite her "collage reading level thats higher than yours will ever be", she has only added 2 books to her READ shelf and they are both by Maggie Stiefvater.


message 115: by [deleted user] (new)

ohhh so thats why she likes this book! shes only 12, she obviously doesnt appreciate literature


Kat Kennedy Yes, she is undoubtedly a bastion of higher intellect.

Alas, parents need to monitor their children on the internet more. Twelve year olds lack the maturity and depth of understanding to properly engage in most social situations. On the internet, this opens them up to scorn, ridicule and shaming in a degree that they have little chance of being able to cope with.

It's best we ignore her and hope she stays far away from 4chan and youtube comments.


message 117: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 19, 2012 06:31AM) (new)

Sns wrote: "ohhh so thats why she likes this book! shes only 12, she obviously doesnt appreciate literature"

Please, age is not an excuse. I was reading Dickens, Tolkien, Alcott, Ende, Bradbury and Wilde at 12, without touting supposed college level. I could also write understandably in my born language. And wasn't about to start whining if someone didn't like a book I did...

Kat wrote: "Yes, she is undoubtedly a bastion of higher intellect.(...)It's best we ignore her and hope she stays far away from 4chan and youtube comments. "
Lol. Right, sorry. Full-stop.


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate Kat wrote: "Alas, parents need to monitor their children on the internet more."

Agreed. At school, we deal with Bullying issues all the time. Much of this, happens online. Yet, for some reason, we are expected to "fix" it. Many of these problems could be solved if parents kept a closer eye on their kid's internet activity, both of what their children are saying and what is being said to them. Unfortunately, bullying is starting to be seen as an issue for the schools to deal with when what is needed is for parents and schools to work together.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, how about this:

This book is shit (not to be confused with THE shit). There, back on topic :)


message 119: by [deleted user] (new)

zanahoria wrote:
"Please, age is not an excuse. I was reading Dickens, Tolkien, Alcott, Ende, Bradbury and Wilde at 12, without touting supposed college level. I could also write understandably in my born language. And wasn't about to start whining if someone didn't like a book I did..."
wow that is amazing!! what i meant was that maybe thats why she thinks she shiver is such a good book because she hasnt read any actually good books, but wow the amount you read at twelve is truly amazing!


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate Jennifer wrote: "fyi ive read many more i just dont choose to live my life on the internet. "

Honey, you need to stop. You're twelve. I'm not going to argue with you any further.


message 121: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you need to take a "chill pill" as you cool kids say it ;D
ANYWAY
Jennifer if you don't like this then maybe you shouldn't comment on a negative review of a book you clearly adore(if you can even call it a book) because it is clear you want to argue but you just have to except that as hard as it may be for you to understand some people may not like this book.


message 122: by [deleted user] (new)

I was being sarcastic honey, and thank you for that very useful piece of advice, I can assure that I will put it to use one day just for you, yet i don't see how what I previously posted has anything to do with what you posted, sure you can have your own opinion but I think it will be wiser if you expressed your opinion about this book on a review which is not negative, this way you wont argue with people who are just expressing their OWN OPINION like you where on this review, you are insulting people who are posting their own opinion so you are contradicting yourself with what you just said.


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate Don't feed the mini-trolls.


message 124: by [deleted user] (new)

" you used where wrong, and cool story bro" does anyone understand what she just said?


message 126: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHA! message taken :D goodbye Jennifer, i hope you truly live a fulfilling life, where you may read as many Maggie Stiefvater books as you like.


Kat Kennedy Jennifer, if you post again I will delete all your comments and any future comments. I will block you so that you can't post on any of my reviews.

You lack the maturity, whatever your age, to understand that you are making a dick out of yourself.


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate So Kat, have you considered reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater? I'm wondering if it sucks as hard as this one did.


message 129: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn I just... I just don't get Shiver, I really don't. I did try to read it and when that failed I gave an honest go at the audiobook, but I just don't GET it.
I'll admit fully that I probably didn't make it past page 30 BUT I didn't stop reading because I thought the story or the writing terrible, I just didn't want to read it. Which is so strange for me because I have never willing picked up a book, started reading, and then lost interest so completely without any solid reason. I wish I could have finished it so I could form some sort of opinion on the plot or characters but meh.


message 130: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Dalin wrote: "hey kat i think you can guess who it is yah jennifer according to you i dont know grammar and im a troll but atleast i do know the internet you may be able to block me but you cant stop me from com..."

Don't you think it's a bit sad that this is what you're doing with your free time? Harassing strangers on the internet that don't like the same books you like? If you want people to believe you're mature (which you do, or you wouldn't be here trying to defend yourself), then you should at least try to ACT mature. You're making a fool out of yourself, proving us all right when we say you're a moron that should be banned from the internet entirely.


Kat Kennedy Best to just ignore her Lyndi. I don't really think she understand what's going on here.


message 132: by [deleted user] (new)

Erm..Dalin can you not send me mail, its quite creepy.


message 133: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Kiekow I didn't find this book that interesting so I didn't give it a chance and didn't read it but this review is hilarious.


message 134: by Cas (new) - rated it 1 star

Cas Dalin wrote: "hey kat i think you can guess who it is yah jennifer according to you i dont know grammar and im a troll but atleast i do know the internet you may be able to block me but you cant stop me from com..."

Because that's not creepy (and pathetic, do you happen to have a life?)...


message 135: by [deleted user] (new)

after twilight, i have completely given up on all YA paranormal anything. with teh exception of Vampire Academy, I'm done with shitty abusive pouffy haired fuckeads (*cough* Hush Hush, Twilight, Fallen *cough*) that fal in love with retarded gay heroines :D


message 136: by Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate (last edited Feb 21, 2012 04:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate Sarah wrote: "retarded gay heroines"

... that is pretty offensive, you might want to re-think your use of the words retarded and gay...

I do agree with the sentiment itself. I need strong heroines. If I start reading a book and the main character starts displaying Bella-esque qualities, I stop reading.


message 137: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I avoid YA-PNR, but I read Kat's reviews because I don't want to miss out on a great book just because I have no interest in rehashing my teenage years (which, unfortunately, never had vampires or soul mates).


message 138: by [deleted user] (new)

Woops but you know what I mean. Same here. Now, I'm avoiding YA PNR beccause of it's sudden shittyy quality. Why is everybody trying to rip off Bella? What is so special about her? Ugh.


message 139: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I think it's not that Bella herself is so special, but that the Twilight series is SO popular, authors want to cash in. And it's obviously working, or YA wouldn't be flooding the market as it is.


message 140: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn I think the Twilight thing is definitely a cash-grab but authors pursue it because they think they can do it better. I mean look at Harry Potter, where that series was incredibly, incredibly successful BUT we didn't get a YA market ruled by the fantasy genre and wizards. Authors read Harry Potter and went, well I can't top that.
I mean, I'll still read YA PNR but I'm trying to be choosy and more importantly avoid series as much as possible.


Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate That is a really good point Jessica-Robyn. I never thought about it that way.


message 142: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:48PM) (new)

Yeap, point for Jessica. Sad thing is, most authors fall short even by Twilight standards.


message 143: by Azqa (new) - added it

Azqa This basically summed up everything I was thinking while I was reading the book.
I still can't get over the fact that she had fallen in love with a dog before she knew he was a human.
Really? That's just creepy :/
And then when she did find out who he was, she had no reaction what so ever.
She should have at least had a small reaction or something.


Kat Kennedy I think she was secretly disappointed that he turned out to be human...0_0


message 145: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Oh god, Olivia, you're making it even creepier! As if bestiality wasn't enough, let's throw some incest in there, too. Squicky! :p


message 146: by Steve (new) - rated it 1 star

Steve Parsons While I totally agree with your review, you should never say you can't muster the energy to rant about a book when you just wrote 7 paragraphs and then go on to write 3 more. :-) Either way, you couldn't be more right about this book.


Kat Kennedy You say that because you think THIS is a rant. Read some of my other reviews and you will see it scarcely registers on my scale.


message 148: by Courtenay (new) - added it

Courtenay All praise her lol I'm sick I the good boy thing ! Give me a damn bad one with dangerous temptation !


message 149: by Wigs (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wigs "And what's with the dramatic ending? Really? He gets cured and goes home and gets dressed and reads a few books, checks his mail, gives himself a mani and a pedi, goes on a diet, waits for his skin to clear up, buys the perfect set of shoes and THEN tracks down the love of his life who he thought he'd never see again? I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO! How about stumbling through the forest naked and desperately arriving in Grace's backyard because he can't believe the complete miracle of his cure and can't wait to have the love of his life back in his arms? Yeah, that ending makes so much more sense."


omfg I am crucified, dead, buried, and risen. haven't read this book but this paragraph is perfect. it sounds like the author didn't have enough betas, if not one was capable of suggesting an ending that was actually climactic, lol


message 150: by Silversnow (new)

Silversnow rofl!!! your review is way more interesting than this book.......i just read 20 30 pages and i was done with it..
this review just made my day
XD


back to top