Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Dec 04, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: just-plain-bad, kat-s-book-reviews, kat-s-rants, ya-pnr-maddness
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: The world. A very gender confused world.
Recommended for: Insomniacs... no, sorry, even then it's too cruel.
Read from July 04 to 07, 2010 , read count: 1

I started reading this book and a curious thing happened. Suddenly my house was sparkling clean, my bills were filed away, I started playing Farm Story and reached level 13 in one day, I did my tax, I spent two hours chatting to the chatbott, Jabberwocky...Anything, and I mean ANYTHING to avoid the boredom of reading Shiver. Shiver, the story of a girl drastically into beastiality, only to find out her wolf lover was really a boy. As I read this book I had the strange urge to lock up my German sheppard should Grace ever decide to visit my home because she really does fall in love with a dog... for YEARS before she ever finds out it's a boy or that things like werewolves exist. I can't even begin to express how creepy her obsession with a wolf is.

I get the whole eternal love thing. Perhaps Stiefvater was trying to show that Sam and Grace's connection transcends all the things love actually isn't supposed to transcend. Maybe I'm just weird and completely unromantic, but I've never looked at Fido and found a kindred spirit. I never passed a dog down the street and found that I couldn't be attracted to men because they just weren't going to cut it for me anymore.

So, other than the fact that this book disturbed the fucking hell out of me, bored me to death and dragged on like a visit to the old folk's home, it was also poorly edited. The writing wasn't TOO bad. Some of the poems were down right rubbish, and some of the others were alright.

Grace and Sam's voices were near identical. Oh, and another thing, Sam was annoyingly chaste for way too long. Where were all of these careful, thoughtful boys when I was in high school? It's a disturbing trend, really. Edward Cullen, Sam Roth, Daniel Gregori... they all came pre-pussy whipped and I'm kind of wondering what the attraction is.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for bad boys. Maybe I like boys that I COULDN'T imagine comfortably playing bridge with my 80 year old grandma (not to mention enjoying it!) What is with the sudden need to keep us women in line? If I read one more paranormal, male hunk refuse the supposed love of his life, who is literally flinging her naked body onto him, then I think I'm going to start a convention... a Ball Replacement Convention.

C'mon, Stiefvater! Give the boy his balls back, please! He complained that a jacket made him look bulky! He wrote a poem about a leaking womb! What teenage boy doesn't shudder at the thought of menstrual blood? What next? Chipped nail, PMS cramps? Is he going to stamp his foot and mutter, "Drat! I can't believe Jennifer is wearing the same dress as me! I think I might just die!"

Look, I know I'm being incredibly sexist. After all, it was kind of nice to read about a "stoic" female character and an emotional, gentle male character. But Sam felt and read far too much like a middle aged woman and not like a teenage boy. I didn't feel like he was well characterized or fleshed out enough.

So all in all, I can't muster the energy to rant about this book. It was REALLY boring. It was average on the writing scale. It's secondary characterization was pretty good but the main characters didn't do it for me. The plot was SLOW.

Her parents were stupid. I could complain that they were unrealistic - but I've met some fucked up parents over my life, so I'll buy that they really could be that moronic. What I will complain about is where they get this amazing and varied social life in a small town. It never explains why Sam's fate is mysteriously different to Jack's. Maybe I'm just stupid... No. I don't buy that. Was it because he was out in the freezing cold so it kept his temperature reasonable? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of giving him a crazy-ass fever? Was it actually because he processed it as a wolf? Well that doesn't make sense because Grace never changed.

And what's with the dramatic ending? Really? He gets cured and goes home and gets dressed and reads a few books, checks his mail, gives himself a mani and a pedi, goes on a diet, waits for his skin to clear up, buys the perfect set of shoes and THEN tracks down the love of his life who he thought he'd never see again? I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO! How about stumbling through the forest naked and desperately arriving in Grace's backyard because he can't believe the complete miracle of his cure and can't wait to have the love of his life back in his arms? Yeah, that ending makes so much more sense.

I don't get why this is popular. But then, I don't get why Fallen is popular either. It's just all beyond me. Now I'm off to see if I can cram the word "balls" into this review anymore.

Balls, balls, balls. Oh my goodness she fell in love with a dog! Balls.

Balls.

This review can also be found on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
959 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

07/05 page 70
18.0% "Save me."
07/06 page 213
54.0% "Why?! Oh why?! *Collapses in tears*" 5 comments
02/12 marked as: read

Comments (showing 159-208)

message 208: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 06, 2011 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana Penny, Kat, don't you think the three of us are getting the most of the fan gurl abuse? I am exhausted! But who will be policing YA books, who will call the crap crap if not us, right? I just try to keep reminding myself that I am doing public service... and I love to rant too.

Balls!

Kat Kennedy Hmmmm, maybe I could keep it that way...

Kat Kennedy I totally feel bad for you and Penny! You guys have had troll after troll lately! I'm only getting abuse because I jump on in defence though. To be honest, I'm really grateful Ariel jumped in this time. She's awesome.

message 205: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi It felt weird for me I review Looking for Alaska and rated it 3 stars but still there's a troll in my thread (jeeeez)...

I thought trolls are for 1-star review only

message 204: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Sorry I think I'm off-topic (just wanna share troll stories)

message 203: by Penny (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny I don't totally mind the trolls. It means my review is popular enough to be on the front page, so that's good right? (not that I'm a review whore, at least not totally, but its nice to know my review is being read and liked more often then not). I just try to ignore the trolls, though I'm usually not successful.

It's funny but I get more bent out of shape when a troll is going after a goodreader I'm friends with then when they're trolling after me.

message 202: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny And Ariel is awesome.

message 201: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Really Penny? Wish I could be like you, it kinda hard to ignore them, especially that I have the feeling that they're like insulting my opinion and also myself.

Tatiana Ariel has the ability to keep a very cool head when dealing with haters. Unlike me.

message 199: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Who's Ariel btw?

message 198: by Paola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paola Garcia i actually liked the book. :(
stiefvater's words flows like a poem. :(

i feel him. Sam.
when he kissed Grace and his mind didn't wander to how good kissing her feels i was like, that's how kisses should go. you just become one with the moment. you don't think, you just feel.

message 196: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi ah okay :)

Ceilidh I must be doing something wrong, I never get GoodReads trolls on my reviews (although in my LJ recap of this book the author commented and erm...yeah, it got interesting.)

Tatiana Really? How interesting?

message 193: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyzi Can you post the link to that review? I'm curious^^

message 192: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Yes, I'd like to read that too.

Scarlet LMFAO hilarious review!!! XD

message 190: by Noelle (new) - rated it 3 stars

Noelle I love your reviews! I cry I laugh so hard when I read them! Your a freaking genious! And I totally agree with you! Stiefvater chopped off Sam's balls and dangled them in front of his face the entire story long! It was quite ridiculous! I now have some pants to change!

message 189: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Rosa Damn you woman, now i have to go read Fallen just so i can bitch about it...
*shakes fist*´
Just as soon as i finish reading shiver, which has been hanging on for a while...
*sigh*

message 188: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your review and I agree whole heartedly. As I read this book, I kept thinking Sam should be short for Samantha.

message 187: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni So funny I totally agree.!!

message 186: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Copeseeley It was the uterus comment on page 63 that did me in. What guy would compare himself to a woman's bleeding womb? Talk about being in touch with his feminine side!! This book made me feel out of touch with the YA genre. Maybe I'm getting too old to read it and take it seriously. *sigh*

message 185: by Blaise (new)

Blaise Just mulling over the pansy boys mentioned and you know, it just seems like there's a big current of deviant behavior in these YA books lately, SM and now zoophilia. When did love come with the tag: "I love you so much I didn't kill you"?

Gohomelefty You're totally right about the male character being written as if he were a chick--At the end of the audio-book, the author makes comments and says that Sam is loosely based on herself...Weird, huh? :) Love your reviews!

message 183: by Rakia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rakia I wish I read this review before buying the book.

message 182: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa KAT. Your review is referred to in this post at the booklantern.com

Kat Kennedy Hmmm, not sure I agree with this review anymore. Might rewrite it when I get the chance.

message 180: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Copeseeley What in the world would you change?? I'm sorry if it seems mean, but all you do is highlight a lot of the VERY REAL problems with the book's prose, plot(or lack thereof) and creepy side of the relationship between the main characters.

Tatiana I really loved this Balls review! Do you like this book now?:0(

message 178: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Nov 05, 2011 02:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Kennedy Don't worry, the review will be back shortly, mostly intact. I don't think anything could erase my dislike of this book! But there's some statements on sexuality that I make in this review that I no longer agree with after reading Delusions of Gender - which is a much better read than this, by the way!

message 177: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Kat wrote: "Don't worry, the review will be back shortly, mostly intact. I don't think anything could erase my dislike of this book! But there's some statements on sexuality that I make in this review that I..."

Phew. I was afraid you went over to the dark side, or is it the light side? Either way, enough of my trusted friends have liked this book that I've questioned my reading comprehension skills. Another person would have made me doubt myself even more.

message 176: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Where were all of these careful, thoughtful boys when I was in high school? It's a disturbing trend, really. Edward Cullen, Sam Roth, Daniel Gregori... they all came pre-pussy whipped...

Hahaha, oh my. I was up in the air about reading this book. Thank you for solving that problem, and with flare.

P.s. Testicles. Just to throw in some variety.

message 175: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh God! LMAO! Between your review *lol* and the comments *snort* I can't stop laughing!
Great review. I'm so giving this book a miss. If you organize that Ball I'm going. More balls please.

message 174: by [deleted user] (new)

Ceilidh wrote: "I must be doing something wrong, I never get GoodReads trolls on my reviews (although in my LJ recap of this book the author commented and erm...yeah, it got interesting.)"

I'd like to see that exchange too =D

message 173: by Maria Jessamir (new)

Maria Jessamir LOL. I've been wanting to read this book but perharps, I'm gonna pass. Thanks for cutting down my to-read list =)

message 172: by jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo hahahha *reading review*

message 171: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi He wrote a poem about a leaking womb? WTF!? This is why I don't read YA. I just read Kat's reviews and shake my head in wonder or disgust. Usually the latter.

Amanda J I love this review. Reading it was far more entertaining than reading the book!

message 169: by Diane (new)

Diane Wow, I guess I should read this so I can get everything done at home that I need to! Hilarious.

SammieAnnie I completely agree. I'll probably read the next one because I want to know how the story continues, but it made little, if any, sense.

Margarita I struggle to read this book because i sometimes found it to be really boring and slowed pace.I finished it though after because my friend told me it was a good worth reading.I have to give it to her. The story itself was original but not the paranormal creatures.

message 166: by Kana (new)

Kana Okay. It's offical. I'll read a review of the back of a cereal box if it's written by Kat Kennedy.

message 165: by Leodora (new)

Leodora Murphy hahahahahha you actually had me falling down the chair laughing! BALLS!!!

message 164: by MLE (new)

MLE Read this to the girl I work with and we both nearly cried we laughed so hard. A perfect review.

message 163: by Olivia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia Douglas I just started this book last night and I mean I like it but what you said in your review is totally 100% true!!!! I found ALOT of "lagging" in it. Very slow, creative ideas tge author did but.....still I'm not sure. To ve honest I only read this book because there's a character named after me Olivia! :P not being rude but damm all Olivia's are like tan, dark hair, dark eyes and im like Casper the friendly ghost :o

Kat Kennedy Yeah I actually did read this entire book.

message 161: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Feb 16, 2012 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Kennedy I would also like to add, that I covered the entire synopsis of this book throughout my review. Your belief that I didn't finish it would appear to be based upon only reading the first sentence or two of my review.

I think you're being puerile. If you'd bothered to finish reading my review, maybe you wouldn't have left factually inaccurate comments on my review.

message 160: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 16, 2012 04:33AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Elizabeth Drake Jennifer wrote: "i think your being capricious... i mean you STARTED to read it maybe if you actually finished a novel you wouldnt be so judgemental about a book you dont even know"

*I, *you're, *I *wouldn't, *judgmental, *don't

If you want people to take your opinion seriously, learn to spell and fix your grammar.

message 159: by [deleted user] (new)

Yuck! could not even finish this book! I must burn it! the idea of a girl falling in love with a dog she didn't before she even knew was human! she must have a mental disorder, and oh the writing! so simply written so so simple...